Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

F-16 dead stick landing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Simba
Vipers sans flaps come down at around 6000 fpm maintaining 200-230 kts with zero thrust. They don't call it the lawn dart approach for nothing.

Very calm and collected pilot, and his buddy was top notch on the radio. Fortunately Viper drivers train on engine-go-bye-bye situations fairly frequently.

One of the very last planes I'd want to have an "unrequested gravity surplus" in, but #1 on the list of "sell any redundant organ to fly".

F-16 is definitely my favorite fighter aircraft. I would sell surplus organs to have one. Kidney, lung...

What is scary for me is when the angle of attack gets too shallow and the aircraft hits a dead stall and the nose drops sharply. It's a bit like falling down the stairs. I hate the transition to free fall at that moment. Definite pucker factor there.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
You certainly don't hear about many 16s losing power compounded with a no restart making it home safely. Funny how some get all giddy over 16s…at my previous duty station both the Wing Commander and Vice flew A-10s instead of traditional lawn darts.

Last edited by akiruno; 03-22-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond repute
Great composure under very terrifying circumstances! I admire his nerves of steel, along with the level of calm coming from Air Traffic Control.