Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Quite the day of flying!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
Quite the day of flying!

I had some business meetings in Texas over the last few days. The plane worked really well for the most part--much faster and more comfortable than the Citation V ever was. My Pilots' biggest worry was that after having sat for 2.5 months, there would be some issues that would need to be sorted out before having a reliable hard working plane again.

Anyways, on our way back from Houston, the FO walks back and says "I hate to tell you this, but we have a problem with the plane". He proceeds to explain to us that we have lost all hydraulic pressure--which means no landing gear, flaps, and possibly not even brakes upon landing. He assured me that they had done this exact scenario a dozen times in the Sim and they he was "pretty sure" they could pull it off without a hitch, but that we should expect the worst and hope for the best.

They declared an emergency with the tower and requested the longest runway for our landing. The landing gear and flaps on the 800XP can be manually lowered via pumping a lever which is located in the cockpit, which my Pilot, Myself, and one of my employees took turns pumping in order to get the landing gear down (operated similar to a car jack). That took about five minutes and it was extremely tiring--it was straight out of the movie "Memphis Belle". Needless to say we were all very nervous--I even called my Wife and wished her goodbye in case the worst happened. Both my employee and I said a prayer and braced for impact as the pilots told us to.

On approach I could see the firetrucks lining the runway. My heart was racing as I could tell the Pilots were coming in as slow as they possibly could. They did a fantastic job and landed without much problem. There was just enough hydraulic pressure left to use the normal brakes without needing the emergency brake.

Getting out of the plane was a great feeling. The emergency personnel met us out on the middle of the runway and I'm sure many flights were diverted (sorry Delta fliers!!).

Crazy day for sure. The plane is having it's entire hydraulic system checked and the right engine hydraulic pump replaced, as it was completely toast on inspection.

I can't wait to get up again! lol

Some pics from the middle of the runway and one while flying:

Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
one hell of a first flight. you will definitely remember that one forever! Glad you landed safely, and enjoy the new bird!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
that was quite an experience and I'm glad it turned out with you safe and sound in the end but I would have been a wreck on the inside if it were me in your position

I don't have a fear of flying, I have a fear of something going wrong

Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
LOOOL! at the last pic haha!

cool story!

As you see,aviation is very safe!

Hope your plane will remain incident free for the time to come!!!

Rep for being out of this safe!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
HA, I can't believe that happened. I'm glad nothing serious happened. As your pilot said, this is a scenario that they train for over and over again.

I'm also glad to hear that this little problem hasn't changed your view on flying.

Airplanes like these suffer from sitightus, it's important to keep them running.

BTW, I like the way that the interior turned out. We are still waiting for the rest of the pics.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
man that is not a situation I want to be put in. Glad everything worked out and that your pilots were on top of their game.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
WOW, glad the outcome was a good one my friend!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Glad everything turned out OK! One hell of a story.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Wow... thats a crazy freakin story. You should be thankful that you're in good hands!!!

Glad to hear that you're OK, and thank you for sharing the story and pictures with us!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Not how I'd want to start using a plane. Glad it turned out well for you.

Quick Reply: Quite the day of flying!