Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Civilian Harrier Jump Jet

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hernando
I'm waiting for the day a Tomcat driver gets to buy one.
Don't hold your breath. In one of the great aviation tragedies, I believe they were all chopped and scrapped.

The only plausible way of getting hold of modern(ish) fighters is to buy them from a country to which they were exported to, and re-import/certify. That's how the few F-104s and such in private hands came to be-- all brought in from Canada and Europe. The domestic ones were chopped up.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Don't hold your breath. In one of the great aviation tragedies, I believe they were all chopped and scrapped.

The only plausible way of getting hold of modern(ish) fighters is to buy them from a country to which they were exported to, and re-import/certify. That's how the few F-104s and such in private hands came to be-- all brought in from Canada and Europe. The domestic ones were chopped up.
That's how most jet warbirds have been acquired. There are many countries with the F-14 still in active service. I'm sure one day they will get rid of them.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
KAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Hernando
That's how most jet warbirds have been acquired. There are many countries with the F-14 still in active service. I'm sure one day they will get rid of them.

The f-14 would just be way too expensive for a private person to own and operate. Sure its a beautiful plane but it also requires 50 maintenance hours for every flight hour.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like to pick up a jet trainer some day, e.g. T-38 Talon or BAE Hawk.

I wouldn't mind having an interceptor either, but that's in a different league as far as price goes.

Last edited by Overtaker; 05-27-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KAZ555
The f-14 would just be way too expensive for a private person to own and operate. Sure its a beautiful plane but it also requires 50 maintenance hours for every flight hour.
that sounds like a hefty maintenance bill.