Notices
Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo Aventador, Huracán, Murcielago, Gallardo, Superleggera, Coupe & Roadster Discussion Forum.

06 Gallardo vs 08 R8 - for $110k - I need advice (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
just got a call today about an 09 white R8 fully loaded for 115k if your interested but i like the gallatdo better.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jenk12m
just got a call today about an 09 white R8 fully loaded for 115k if your interested but i like the gallatdo better.
Damn, I can totally get why this is such a hard choice!! And then throw a White Black Series into the mix!!! How can you lose?? What fun!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Go for what makes you happy!! I would personally go for the Gallardo. I truly love it. I drove the R8, and it lacks power. The G makes you feel more.... "alive" while driving it.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jenk12m
Very tempting Jenk, but I'm sticking to my guns. After a lot of thinking about it the R8 is more practical, less flashy, under warranty and less expensive but I think after a few months I would wish I had gotten a Gallardo. I don't think I would say "I wish I went for the R8" unless something catastrophic happened and I had to go out of pocket $10k+

Old 07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
People keep saying things like "statement cars", and I just don't understand it. Are you implying you enjoy drawing attention with your cars? To me, a car (especially one such as an R8 or Gallardo) is about personal satisfaction, not about making a public statement.

I have no idea which one I'd chose. From a purely personal ownership perspective, I think I'd enjoy the Gallardo more. However, it would be easier to slide by unnoticed in a gray R8. Call it what you want, but I see value in that.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Gallardo any day...

IMO, if you get either, it would have to be a daily driver, both aren't that special for it to be just a fun or weekend car, maybe i'm spoiled in the fun department! lol

Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
People keep saying things like "statement cars", and I just don't understand it. Are you implying you enjoy drawing attention with your cars? To me, a car (especially one such as an R8 or Gallardo) is about personal satisfaction, not about making a public statement.
I hear you. But as much as you might be impervious to the statement your car makes, it does not belie the fact that it does make a statement. You don't have to "enjoy drawing attention with you car" in order to have your car draw attention - with some cars it just happens regardless of your intentions. Just like how you dress, talk or what type of watch you wear says something about you, the car you drive will create an impression which might be different for each person seeing it.

We live in a material world. There is no way around it. The best people are those who strike the right balance between their outward and inner selves. But as much as you might try, you can never escape the fact that everything you do in life makes a "statement" about you.

I think that is what has been meant by a "statement" car. Not that you desire to make a statement by what you drive. But - with some cars - it is inevitable no matter what your intentions may be.

Some people revel in the additional attention a supercar brings. For me, I like that my cars grab attention because it gives me a chance to connect with other car enthusiasts and people with common interests. It isn't an ego thing. I just love talking about cars and driving a supercar can get the conversation started. Most supercar owners I know are the same.

So drawing attention isn't always a bad thing.

Last edited by Barrister; 07-03-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I hear you. But as much as you might be impervious to the statement your car makes, it does not belie the fact that it does make a statement. You don't have to "enjoy drawing attention with you car" in order to have your car draw attention - with some cars it just happens regardless of your intentions. Just like how you dress, talk or what type of watch you wear says something about you, the car you drive will create an impression which might be different for each person seeing it.

We live in a material world. There is no way around it. The best people are those who strike the right balance between their outward and inner selves. But as much as you might try, you can never escape the fact that everything you do in life makes a "statement" about you.

I think that is what has been meant by a "statement" car. Not that you desire to make a statement by what you drive. But - with some cars - it is inevitable no matter what your intentions may be.

Some people revel in the additional attention a supercar brings. For me, I like that my cars grab attention because it gives me a chance to connect with other car enthusiasts and people with common interests. It isn't an ego thing. I just love talking about cars and driving a supercar can get the conversation started. Most supercar owners I know are the same.

So drawing attention isn't always a bad thing.
Great way of putting it, Dana. When I think about alternative examples that I can relate to (clothing, diets, exercise, whatever) I get some clarity on how both personal preference and outward image are closely related. Sure, I dress a certain way because I have an interest in fashion, but it's also to project a certain image. And, there is nothing arrogant or distasteful about this, I think it's simply a reality of human nature.

OK, OK, no more from me, I'm about to turn this car thread into a discussion of psychology. Haha.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by iLLGT2

IMO, if you get either, it would have to be a daily driver, both aren't that special for it to be just a fun or weekend car
Uhmm, excuse me . . .

Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
ha, I didn't even DD my 997.

Quick Reply: 06 Gallardo vs 08 R8 - for $110k - I need advice (long)