Notices
Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo Aventador, Huracán, Murcielago, Gallardo, Superleggera, Coupe & Roadster Discussion Forum.

06 Gallardo vs 08 R8 - for $110k - I need advice (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
06 Gallardo vs 08 R8 - for $110k - I need advice (long)

I really need some advice. I'm pretty torn on this decision and I've been doing a lot of thinking about it. I've searched high and low and it looks like the pricing on a used 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo falls in the same price range as a used 2008 Audi R8.

On one hand you have a full blown exotic with v10 and everything that goes with it (quirks, although not as bad as Ferrari) on the other hand you have it's cousin the Audi R8 semi exotic, but full warranty and can be serviced at your local Audi dealership.

As I write this I realize it's not really about the money. I don't care if the G cost more to maintain, I'm ok with that. What I am worried about is the message and flashiness of the G. I feel like in my 997S people don't hate me, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the G will bring some negative attention and jealousy. The R8 I think I can get away with it blending in-- kind of.

Sorry this is so long, I'm just torn. I feel like the 997 can be taken anywhere, and people notice but I don't fear it'll be keyed or messed with when I turn my back. I've been told people will chase me down and take pics with their camera phones and cut me off. Can I drive a Lamborghini in Atlanta (this is not LA) and not attract serious attention?

The last thing is that I'm still young and I feel weird esp. with the economy pulling up in my Lambo when people are getting laid off in my office building. I'm 28 and I probably look like I'm 21. Am I just being a p*ssy or am I being sensitive to the current economic conditions?

This post is probably really gay but I needed to get this off my chest. Should I get the R8 or the G?

Last edited by ATL; 06-29-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
You are in an enviable position. We all have our dream cars and some of us are lucky enough to be in a position to acquire them. You are extremely fortunate to be in that position and IMHO should make that decision based purely on what will make you happy. If I was in a position to buy a $100k car, I would be looking at Superformance Cobras with with race-spec aluminum big blocks (I would have a little change left over from $100k but not much ), but that is my taste, not yours. I have kidded around numerous times about how flashy Lambo's are and how much attention they draw. However, it would be highly hypocritical of me to accuse someone of being flashy when I really want one of the loudest and flashiest cars on the road today.

Follow your heart and don't worry about what anyone here or anywhere else thinks about your choice of $100k cars. Its your personal decision and you should do what makes you happy.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks BigE, I appreciate the input. I never cared for a minute what people would think about the 997 because Porsche's are not that rare but a Lamborghini (and I do enjoy being flashy but only to a certain extent) would be the ultimate "look at me" car. Maybe it's just an insecurity of mine, am I crazy for thinking this?

Attached Images   
Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
When was the last time you've been to Buckhead? There's tons of Gallardos etc. You have the Rover and the Benz, right? Drive those to work. Besides, in my opinion, the R8 looks crazier than a Gallardo.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Either one of those are absolutely stunning!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by MiniD
When was the last time you've been to Buckhead? There's tons of Gallardos etc. You have the Rover and the Benz, right? Drive those to work. Besides, in my opinion, the R8 looks crazier than a Gallardo.
There's only once place I've seen that-- Lennox Square at the valet station. That would be the ONE place I would feel at home. If you guys think they're both equally flashy then I'll go with the G. It really was my only hesitation.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
They both look great. I think that at the end of the day, go with the one that really makes you happy. Only one thing you must do. Call the guys at MaCarbon and do up that R8. Let us know what you get when you get it, and don't forget to share some pictures.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Either car could be envied and thus keyed. Get the one your heart is set on.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
The whole point of a Lambo is to attract attention. If you don't want that then don't buy it.

But I would put my money on the Lambo since the R8 is pathetically slow.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I love you brother. But you need to get over what other people think about what you spend your money on. Those who will judge you for such things will do so no matter how old you are or what state the economy is in. The simple fact is that there has never been a better time to buy an exotic. Those who were prepared for this down market in exotic car values should be lauded for being able to take advantage of it. Those who will be critical will find a reason no matter what. Ignore them completely and get the car that makes you happy.

Now on to the cars. You need to ask yourself an important question: do you really want an exotic car? In my opinion (and I stress that this is only my personal view) the Lambo is an exotic car; the Audi is not. To me an exotic must be tremendously exclusive and stylish. Think about it. The Gallardo that has your name on it was hand built by a team of no more than 6 mechanics, each assigned to a specialty they have spent a lifetime perfecting. The mechanic who built that engine put in the first part and the last. Then a little old lady named Olga lovingly stitched each seam like it was a poncho for her grandson. When that car rolled out of the factory it was one of about 800 that were produced in its production year - that's around 50 - 75 per month or about 2 a day. Lambo recently upped its production to a mere 3,000 cars a year - world wide.

The Audi factory recently announced that they are now producing 20 R8s A DAY.

When you sit in and drive an Italian car you just feel something special. I can hardly explain it. It is just such a thrill. There are moments when you look down at the steering wheel and you say to yourself "holy shit! I'm driving a _________ (fill in the blank)!" I just don't see anyone saying "holy shit! I'm driving an Audi!"

This is not to say that the Audi sucks or anything. In fact, it is a great car - no doubt about it. It looks great, is very reliable and is very fun to drive. But it is NOT an exotic car. It is a piece of cool calculated stoic German engineering meant to make you feel prudent - not passionate. And you are talking to a guy who has owned 6 Mercedes and currently drives a Turbo as a DD. I love German cars. But they are not exotic cars.

If it were me, I would buy the Lambo. The tales of mechanical nightmares are largely just that - tales. It will cost you more to own than a Porsche or Audi. But it won't break you. And it will be worth it.

In terms of performance, the cars are not even in the same league. The Audi absolutely must be modded before it will even sound like a supercar. The Lambo is a beast right out of the box. Both cars are aerodynamically brilliant, but the Lambo has more style and substance. When you put your right foot down in that Lambo the feeling you get will be qualitatively different than the R8.

These are just my personal thoughts. I have personally driven all three cars and can say without a doubt that the Lambo is the better machine. Italian quirks and all.

I know this isn't helpful, but the best would be to buy both!

Last edited by Barrister; 06-30-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 Gallardo vs 08 R8 - for $110k - I need advice (long)