Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Current limited edition G55's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by scotttharobot
Mo,

You seem to be the resident G-wagon expert here. I'm just curious on a few things.

The G-wagon is legendary for being incredibly capable off-road. Is the AMG version less capable than the standard due to performance upgrades? Or, do they slap in a new engine and call it a day? I used to drive a G55 quite regularly at work, and I was always curious if there was a compromise made for the extra power. Also, where in Austria are they built? I just spent a month there this past fall - just curious.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Mike. You need to get a punch card from your dealerships... buy 5, get one free!!
Hi there,

Its capable as a standard G-class, the disadvantage is the larger side exhausts that might not be good for rock crawling. Other than that it is as good as any G-class in crossing water, sand dune etc.

No compromise made for extra power, the regular G-class has a 7speed now and the G-class AMG has 5 speed to handle the torque.

The G-class is built in Graz,Austria at magna steyr.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Random Question: Mo, have you been to AMG Headquarters in Affalterbach (sp?) Germany???

Mike: What about the "Grand Edition"??? I have seen those for sale. Not sure what it is though....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
scotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Hi there,

Its capable as a standard G-class, the disadvantage is the larger side exhausts that might not be good for rock crawling. Other than that it is as good as any G-class in crossing water, sand dune etc.

No compromise made for extra power, the regular G-class has a 7speed now and the G-class AMG has 5 speed to handle the torque.

The G-class is built in Graz,Austria at magna steyr.
Cool Mo! thanks for the reply!

Have you taken yours off road yet?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Random Question: Mo, have you been to AMG Headquarters in Affalterbach (sp?) Germany???

Mike: What about the "Grand Edition"??? I have seen those for sale. Not sure what it is though....
I havent been to affalterbach, I only went to BMW and Audi didnt have the time.

The G55 Grand Edition is just a marketing trick, there were talks to stop bringing the G-class to America and they re-marketed it as a final edition. Not "worth" it to have in a collection, the later models are much better or any G55 designo package, especially the ones with the light brown interior when the G55 grand edition was out called the Designo Mocha package, looks classy and rare.

Cool Mo! thanks for the reply!

Have you taken yours off road yet?
I haven't and I dont plan to, its too of an "expensive" car to go offroad with, unless your forced too and there isnt any asphalt pavement anywhere

Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
I havent been to affalterbach, I only went to BMW and Audi didnt have the time.

The G55 Grand Edition is just a marketing trick, there were talks to stop bringing the G-class to America and they re-marketed it as a final edition. Not "worth" it to have in a collection, the later models are much better or any G55 designo package, especially the ones with the light brown interior when the G55 grand edition was out called the Designo Mocha package, looks classy and rare.
Do yourself a favor and go. One of the coolest places a car guy can go.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 PM
AMGFanatic
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Do yourself a favor and go. One of the coolest places a car guy can go.
I have that in a list of places to go to.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Teamspeed Member
scotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond reputescotttharobot has a reputation beyond repute
Mo,

When you were at the BMW HQ, did you go to the Classic warehouse? I managed to get a private tour, and take pictures. There is some seriously cool stuff in there, and I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

BMW Classic Warehouse Set on Flickr

Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
AMGFanatic
Mo,

When you were at the BMW HQ, did you go to the Classic warehouse? I managed to get a private tour, and take pictures. There is some seriously cool stuff in there, and I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

BMW Classic Warehouse Set on Flickr
I went to the museum

Old 03-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
No matter if it's off topic, some valued information here

I'm still busy with my sales rep, I hope to finalize an order shortly.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Teamspeed Member
Would this be your first G?

I'm always amazed by the sheer amount of interior room inside of the G's. The sound and feel of the AMG's are just nuts.

Also, I could just open and close the doors for days. Love that mechanical click.

Quick Reply: Current limited edition G55's?