Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Misha Design Widebody Kit Build Thread SEMA 2010 Completion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Teamspeed Member
IFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud of
Just saw this great picture by Tan Nguyen from Password JDM Industries of my SL. You can get a better idea of how the paint flops colors when light hits it.

TOP DOWN

Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
TurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these partsTurboMan is infamous around these parts
wow, great work

do you mind i made a video about it?

i mentioned your company in the title and video description

YouTube - [one minute conversion] From SL55 AMG to SL Black Series (iForged)

Last edited by TurboMan; 11-04-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
dmanero is an unknown quantity at this point
Wondering if someone can help me out, I read that Sema was a closed door event to the Public and only people in the industry are able to attend, so is there a way like myself, an huge car nut can get in, by either a pass or referal?

would love to attend next year.

BTW the Platnium Sl look nice but this SL is a work of art, true craftsmanship.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Teamspeed Member
IFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud ofIFORGED has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TurboMan
wow, great work

do you mind i made a video about it?

i mentioned your company in the title and video description

YouTube - [one minute conversion] From SL55 AMG to SL Black Series (iForged)
Thanks buddy for the video. Love it.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
After trying a few different off the shelf exhaust tips I finally realized there was no way to properly fit exhaust tips on the SL project without making them from scratch. Unfortunately Misha Designs does not provide exhaust tips for their widebody kit as of yet, so I had to come up with something custom.

The guys at Hyevon told me they could tackle my project and in a few days came up with a prototype piece for me to inspect. I was so happy with how it came out. The tips are now being sent to the powdercoater to get a nice textured matte black coating and will be installed on the car next week.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
dmanero is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont know if those are the Tips I would have decided on, kind of ruins the look, plus you can see the small opening. Just dont look right.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by dmanero
I dont know if those are the Tips I would have decided on, kind of ruins the look, plus you can see the small opening. Just dont look right.
They will be powdercoated textured matte black.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Teamspeed Member
11 Days Project SL Audio Installation Countdown: Day 1

During SEMA one of my good buddies Brian Sherman of Diamond Audio and Fierce Car Audio pitched me an idea of letting them use the Mercedes SL for their CES 2011 car. I have been working with Brian on projects since 2001 and my blue Porsche Widebody had appeared in his CES booth back in 2005. We struck a deal and a few days after I came back from SEMA a full shipment of Diamond Audio gear arrived at my office.

We have a photoshoot on December 1st with Ryan Hagel at RCH Designs in Huntington Beach California. That gives us 11 full days including the Thanksgiving holiday to create a custom stereo system that is worthy of being debuted at CES. I was referred by a few industry contacts to Frank Sbrocca and his team at Traffic James in North Hollywood. After speaking to him on the phone he came to my office with his team and we had a meeting to discuss the timeline and how to tackle the project. An hour later a flat bed tow truck came and the Project SL was headed to North Hollywood for a custom stereo install.

iForged Project SL Audio Build
Stereo Project Countdown.
Full CES build in 11 Days
Installer: Frank Sbrocca and his team at Traffic Jams in North Hollywood, CA.

Full shipment of Diamond Audio and Fierce Car Audio gear.

The fourth flatbed trip for the project SL in the last 3 weeks.

Day 1 Project SL Audio Build

Here are the beginning photos of the door pods. First a jig is made, then the jig is copied to make the grill and inserts

The jig will be copied 4 times for each side with a router using a flush trim bit. These various pieces will become parts of the door pods as well as jigs for the grill and insert that will be carbon fibered

Next the base plate will get the speaker holes cutout

Now that the speaker holes are cut in the base plate now we need to cutout the rings that will hold the grills in place

Once the rings have been cut out the grill is then also cut for the speaker openings. Now we have the main 3 pieces needed got our door pods

Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Teamspeed Member
The ring is then glued to the base plate which allows the grill to fit snugly in place once it is upholstered

Black abs spacers are made for the tweeter cup so both the midrange and tweeter sit at the same level. This is done to prepare for a carbon fiber insert which will trim off the door pods and the speakers

ABS inserts are made and beveled around the speaker openings. Were making 4 in total for the front door pods. 2 will be sent out to be inlaid in real carbon fiber

A spacer is added to the bottom of our speaker pod and after we tape off the door, we will be ready to mold our panel to the shape of the door

A coat of marglass is used to fill the gaps and shape the panel to the door. Next we will be adding a thin coat of bondo over the marglass. Once both are dry we will remove the panels and sand them till they are ready for upholstery

The factory speaker pods are removed and the speaker opening is covered over with dynamat. The doors are now taped and the doorpods are ready to be molded.

Pictures of the panels with the final coat of bond before they will be sanded

Last edited by IFORGED; 11-21-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Pierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond reputePierre996TT has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome...congrats!

Quick Reply: Misha Design Widebody Kit Build Thread SEMA 2010 Completion