Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Speccing my G55 next week, any out of the ordinary options I should know about?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hugo
which one ?
Had not seen pics before of the your CTR2 - That thing is

Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
I have sold three G55's in the last few years. All were traded shortly after delivery due to the terrible stiff ride. You will need to change out the shocks/springs. Personally I never understood the desire to own a powerful engine in a vehicle that really does not handle or brake better then an ice cream truck... Admittedly it is a bad ass looking truck.
Why did you end up buying 3 if they were so terrible I already asked MB to request having the G500 springs put in the car. They will come back to me as soon as they can.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Mike S, have you tryed brabus they offer lowering solution might improve the handling ?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Not yet, Mo - I'll look into it

Old 11-05-2009, 12:04 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Mike S,

I've been wanting the G55 since 2007, I can tell you that no suv has the presence of this tank with quad exhaust's, take a trip go somewhere for holiday 3days and test drive it......seriously one of the coolest vehicles ever, my next car will be a heavily ordered up to my spec G55 "someday".

Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura aboutryanDXB has a spectacular aura about
Mike, thought I'd chime in as my Dad recently bought an '09 G55.
Suspension:
I live in Dubai where the roads are not that bad, yes they're new however they are of very poor quality such that the ride surface is often uneven. The G55 jiggles, it's a bit irritating at times but not uncomfortable. Yes it's stiff, but I've had an '03 X5 4.4i back home in Toronto and man that thing was stiff. Drive the G into a long sweeper and it kinda settles into it, not the way the X5 would, but it makes you feel like you're not gonna lose control. I haven't tried switching out the shocks and wouldn't want to. It's a truck with 500hp, and a basic suspension design, no adaptive shock trickery, so a compromise has to be made.

The engine:
Worth the price of admission. I could listen to that thing all day long. When cruising ...amazing burble from behind your shoulder. Tranny responds very quickly to downshifts and the G just launches.

Other stuff:
We're probably not going to be selling this truck at any point in the future. It's so bad ass and has so much presence that you can't help but love it. From the rifle-bolt sound the door locks make to fact that you have to slam the doors closed, to the view when driving it. Haven't taken it off-road yet, and to be honest I probably won't. Don't have the time nor the skill.

Should you buy one, I think so.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hugo
off for a Testosterone injection
That things needs more testosterone? Beautiful car, love the exhaust.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
InZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Vanq
Mike, if your dealer has any pull at the factory there are many options for you to consider. I know of one guy that had AMG build him a G-class with the Bi-turbo V12 from the S65/SL65. Furthermore AMG (supposedly) built 12 G63's with a N/A V12 at the cost of $350K
If I was you (I wish) I would get an ordinary G55 and modify it, IMO half the fun of owning a car is modifying it to my own liking!
Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Motivation for Mike S

NOTICE: All pictures are property of their respective owners.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks Mo, you really are a G-wagen fanatic
----
Thanks Ryan for the insight. I will probably still end up with one. I actually even quite liked the Hummer H2 They have RHD converted models running around here, but the job done is terrible. The dash fascia literally lifts off when you touch it

So I have always had a liking for these macho military look-a-like trucks.
----
Insanez, thank you for those pics!! Do you know if that G65 came like that from the factory (excluding the ugly bonnet, wheels and front bumper)?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
InZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond reputeInZane has a reputation beyond repute
You're welcome. No, it's pretty much stock. All of those are add-ons by the owner.
If it helps, Sheikh Mohammad, the Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai has the most G-Wagens, including most of the G63s.

Quick Reply: Speccing my G55 next week, any out of the ordinary options I should know about?