Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Brand new 2005 SL55

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Brand new 2005 SL55

My wife and I bought this 2005 SL55 ~1 month ago after I chased it down from an ad that showed up on autotrader.com which disappeared almost as quick as it went up. It was for sale at a dealer in Nashville, TN so I called them only to be told it had been sold to another dealer in AL! They were good enough to tell me who they sold it to and give me their phone number. The dealer was Red Mountain Rovers in Birmingham, AL who as the name implies specializes in Land Rovers. When I called I was told they had bought the car for one of their customers but that if I was interested he might sell b/c he already had an SL65. They checked with the owner (it was not ever titled in his name) and since he hadn't even seen the car he'd consider selling it. We went back and forth a couple times and put together a deal. The car was now in Dothan, AL so I flew to Brimingham, rented a car, went to RMR did the paperwork and then drove to Dothan to pick the car up. More than doubled the miles drinving back to NC.

Right about now you're asking why would you go through this much just to get THIS SL55? Well, this is literally a brand new car! When I picked it up in Dothan the car had just 420 miles. Besides the ultra low miles it is equipped with pano roof, xenons, premium pacakage and parking sensors (I think that's everything....) and the MSRP was just over $133k. I was told by the original dealer the car was part of a collection and that it was everything a car should be with only 370 miles (it had 370 miles when at the dealer in Nashville). My wife and I have bought and sold many cars over the years so we're always suspect of a used car's condition b/c NOBODY I've ever met takes care of them like I do..... Well, this dealer was correct, the car was stunning. Obsidian Black with Charcoal interior.

The first thing to do after adding the SL63 trunk spoiler was lose the fugly 18" multi spoke stock wheels and replace them with OZ Ultra Leggera HLTs. This has proved to be a long drawn out process b/c when I recieved the wheels the rears were a completely different color than the fronts. Luke at Tire Rack was great and we worked out a deal after the fact b/c I'd have to have two repainted at the very least and most likely all four. All four had to be repainted. I picked the wheels up yesterday at the body shop and they looked beautiful! Beautiful until one of the guys at the tire store dinged one with an air hose!!!! Back to the body shop for a repair and today all is good with the wheels but one set of the 10mm spacers I bought from Evosport didn't fit. So the rears have a 10mm spacer on each side but the fronts do not. The guys at Evosport are overnighting me another set to try. Seems the front hubs are just a bit different than the rears........ Fingers crossed b/c the fronts need to be pushed out just a bit.

Since the car already had tinted windows the only other thing we're going to do to it is drop it a bit so it looks less like a four wheeler and perhaps exhaust. In spite of that, I think it looks pretty good as is. The paint is like glass!

Last edited by LRDog; 09-03-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, nice find! Wheels look good. A slight drop and it will be perfect. So since it was never titled, is it still in warranty?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ara
Wow, nice find! Wheels look good. A slight drop and it will be perfect. So since it was never titled, is it still in warranty?
I wasn't very clear on that point, there was one previous owner b/f the guy in AL so it was titled and the warranty has expired. We bought a 5 year 70k warranty from the local dealer.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Nice pickup, I like the wheels. Interesting choice in tires, did you pick the Ciugaro's on purpose?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by ATL
Nice pickup, I like the wheels. Interesting choice in tires, did you pick the Ciugaro's on purpose?
Thanks. Yes, I have the Vredesteins on my 928 GTS and love them. They are great tires and reasonably priced.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
Nice pickup.
Tastefully modded, and that wing really adds a nice touch!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
I approve! It looks awesome.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:19 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations you know what you could do is put on the SL65 front bumper and install a SL63 rear so it looks much more macho. For exhaust keep the oem mufflers "AMG" and just get the Kleemann K2 or K3 which come with headers that will make it sound more deep.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
clemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond repute
looks great. congrats

Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
That looks fantastic! Congrats on the new purchase.

Quick Reply: Brand new 2005 SL55