Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

iMessage Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Jsf721 is on a distinguished roadJsf721 is on a distinguished road
iMessage Question

My question relates to the set up of Imessage across multiple devices and within a family.

Dad- iP4S, Ipad2, iMac
Son1=iP4S, iMac
Son2-iP4s, iMac

We all have our own iClould ID;s to keep contacts/cal/photos separate. We All Share my Apple ID for purchases from the iTunes Store.

Is it truce that if my kids, or I loose the phone that i will be forced to change my apple ID fotr purchases becasue that data will survuce the remote wipe?

One of my kids friends had an iPhone stollen, deactivated by the carrier but claim the person who has the phone is mingling texts sent over a wifi connection unless they got it re activated by a cell company. When contacted the person claims it was purchased on craigs list.

Can a separate Apple ID be created and just used for iMessage? This would allow each person to have a way of killing imessage if the phone was lost or stolen or sold by the original user. By doing this you could also lnk a single user to multiple IOS devices.

I am new to Apple and so far it has been pretty easy, although this is pretty complicated. I pewrsonally feel that a remote wire should kill all evidence of your data or it is a bug in the imessage system.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
rangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond repute
You can create any number of Apple IDs. However, there is no need for a new one if your son loses his phone.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Bo means business
Bonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond repute
Okay this is kinda unrelated .. but i just got myself an iphone and i feel like 70 yrs old trying to use smart phones.. how and what do I need to know about this thing.. ex,what is Icloud? does imessage work like BB? how the hell do i find facebook

Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Am I the only one around here who doesn't have a custom member title?
sinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bonita
Okay this is kinda unrelated .. but i just got myself an iphone and i feel like 70 yrs old trying to use smart phones.. how and what do I need to know about this thing.. ex,what is Icloud? does imessage work like BB? how the hell do i find facebook
iCloud stores your photos, music, apps, calender etc so they become available on all your Apple devices.

iMessage is a messaging service for all iOS 5+ users similar to BBM.

For facebook and other apps click on the App store icon on your homescreen.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
rangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bonita
iCloud lets you save your contacts, photos, music, documents on Apple's servers. Your iCloud account will be your apple id and you will get a mail id once you sign into iCloud. If you have multiple iOS devices connected, iCloud transfers all your apps on the connected devices. Using Photo stream you can send photos from your iPhone to Mac, or other iOS devices. And iMessage is free message service, you have to send texts using your apple id. You can also have video calls using FaceTime, again apple id is required.

If you don't have an apple id, just open apps store and get it. And yes, you can have multiple apple ids.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
to the OP, you don't need separate apple ID's to set it up, however, you will need to set up separate emails and phone numbers as to where the messages will go on each device. we have 4 members with multiple devices in our families. we have 2 ID's only because my wife has a different iTunes account for work. i just gave my kids different email accounts.