Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Do you guys have any keyboard recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Do you guys have any keyboard recommendations?

I currently use a curved wireless keyboard from Microsoft, because I can't stand the chiclet keyboard from Apple. It's starting to get worn out, however, and I need a new one. Does anyone use a curved/ergonomic keyboard they really like?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
The Apple keyboard is the epitome of everything a keyboard should be.

If for whatever reason you don't like it, Kensington makes good stuff.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, Microsoft makes a curved BT that I might check out. Looked into Cherry MX and Topre capacitive keyboards, but I don't like the profile.

The Apple slim keyboard is regarded by almost all of my developer friends as the worst keyboard ever. Your fingers hurt by the end of the day, and the flat keys offer a terrible typing experience. It does look nice though.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Apple's keyboard on the powerbooks what the cats ass, I hate the new ones. I wish I could somehow get the old one onto the new macbooks.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Andrew
The Apple slim keyboard is regarded by almost all of my developer friends as the worst keyboard ever. Your fingers hurt by the end of the day, and the flat keys offer a terrible typing experience. It does look nice though.
I probably type about 10-20k words a day on the "chiclet" keyboards. No discomfort what so ever. I suspect that as with most things Apple, it comes down to old habits that don't mesh with their design ethos. I greatly prefer the current keyboards over anything on the market as they have a laptop-like short key stroke, which saves me a not insignificant amount of time over the day.

I used to use Kinesis advantage back in the day, but the amusement of it wore off and I found that I actually typed much slower with less accuracy on many of the ergonomic keyboards.

By the same token, I use a Wacom tablet over Apple's amazingly silly mice for the same reason-- faster and works better.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Apple's keyboard on the powerbooks what the cats ass, I hate the new ones. I wish I could somehow get the old one onto the new macbooks.
Yah, if I could find a keyboard exactly like the old-style Macbook Pros (the one I have now), I would buy it in a heartbeat. No idea why they moved to the chiclets.

Simba, I like the slim design and short stroke, but not the flat keys. Microsoft makes a bluetooth keyboard with a short stroke and a curved design, which I think should work well. I'm getting my wife the tenkeyless Apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad (she's taking my old MBP), so I can always swap with her and give it a try.