Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

My iTunes is looking for songs in random locations.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy My iTunes is looking for songs in random locations.

I tried transferring a few songs to my iPod this morning, and I got an error message saying certain songs could not be transferred because they were incompatible with my iPod (which is especially weird since I was transferring a single album, and all of the songs were the same format, MP3).

I then tried double clicking on these songs to play them and absolutely nothing happened. No error message, no playback.

Upon further inspection in the "Get info" window, I noticed the extremely odd location of the files (see "Where:" in the pic below). I then spotlighted the actual files and noticed that they were still in the correct location (in my "Music" folder with the rest of the album). It seems as if iTunes just thinks the songs are actually in a different location, hence no playback and no "cannot find" error message. Pretty much half of my library is like this (unplayable with a weird location), and all of the locations are different. Some in Office like below, some in Acrobat, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Last edited by Dynamic; 03-02-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
You have a virus i'm afraid.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JCay
You have a virus i'm afraid.
Yeah it's hysterical.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Macs don't get virii.

Have you tried repairing your permissions with disk utility?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have a computer with iTunes installed on it in front of me right now but under the "Advanced" tab, I think there is an option to select the folder where iTunes looks for music. It might've gotten reset at some point (this happens to me occasionally since all of my music is on an external drive). Just reset that to the correct folder, let iTunes update your music library, and you should be good to go.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Alzilla
I don't have a computer with iTunes installed on it in front of me right now but under the "Advanced" tab, I think there is an option to select the folder where iTunes looks for music. It might've gotten reset at some point (this happens to me occasionally since all of my music is on an external drive). Just reset that to the correct folder, let iTunes update your music library, and you should be good to go.
I also have my music on an external HD, but this didn't work. The main folder was the same, and I even tried changing it, but no luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Appears as though the file is encoded in a format the iPod doesn't support, or the file itself is corrupt.

The right side of the middle pane which tells you what sort of MPEG encoding is being used is curiously absent. As well, 0.2KB is rather small for a 2:29 audio file.

Based on the path it is reporting, I'd say the file is corrupt. Try repairing your disk via the troubleshooting thread that's stickied here.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Simba
Appears as though the file is encoded in a format the iPod doesn't support, or the file itself is corrupt.

The right side of the middle pane which tells you what sort of MPEG encoding is being used is curiously absent. As well, 0.2KB is rather small for a 2:29 audio file.

Based on the path it is reporting, I'd say the file is corrupt. Try repairing your disk via the troubleshooting thread that's stickied here.
But how could my entire library be working, then all of a sudden the next day half of it stops working. I have 35GB of corrupt music...that wasn't corrupt a few days ago.

Last edited by Dynamic; 03-03-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dynamic
But how could my entire library be working, then all of a sudden the next day half of it stops working. I have 35GB of corrupt music...that wasn't corrupt a few days ago.
One of two things are likely: 1) The disk ate itself, which is unlikely if the rest of the system works. 2) iTunes' database library was somehow corrupted.

Try the following:

1) Boot the machine with your installation DVD. Repair the disk and repair disk permissions per instructions in the "how to fix it" thread.

Assuming the disk checks out:

2) Follow this procedure.