Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Does my iMac have a virus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Does my iMac have a virus?

I switched to Apple last year, and have enjoyed my iMac. A few days ago, my computer started acting funny. It runs real slow, and certain letters are missing from webpages. For example, I did a google search earlier, and all the "C's" were missing from the results page. While other times, all the text of an article will be missing. The header and advertisements will be there but not the article text I wanted to read.

When I used PC, there was a bunch of anti-virus/malware cleaner programs to run, but there doesn't seem to be much for Mac.

Any advice?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Check for bad fonts

Repair Disk Permissions

Failing that, you could have a hardware issue.

There isn't a plethora of virus cleaners and such for OS X because it's built in a much, much more secure method, and hence it's next to impossible to remotely exploit to any significant degree.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Most of the malware written to attack OSX is directed toward third party applications, as OSX is, as Simba stated, very secure. If you're running IE as your browser, that could be your problem. Actually, any browser is vulnerable. If you were trying to pirate software, there are trojans out there that attack macs. iServices makes a free trojan removal tool you can download. If you decide to go with anti-virus software, Norton seems to be the best.