Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Transfer Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Transfer Question

In the future I will be purchasing a Mac Book.

Right now I have files on my current PC, that I share with my parents.

My question is, if I purchase fire wire would I have to install software on the PC to transfer the files from the PC to the Mac Book.

Or is my other, cheaper, option to buy a jump drive to just transfer files that way?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
How much data are we talking? And how experienced are you? Could you set up a share on the PC and just copy them over the network? If less than 16 GB of data, you can get dirt cheap thumb drives that will hold it all too (easier and faster.)

You mention buying firewire. You will not be able to plug a firewire cable into the PC and have the Mac see it as a hard drive so not sure where you are going with that.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
have to agree with gobbles. use a thumb drive if you don't have a ton of data.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
How much data are we talking? And how experienced are you? Could you set up a share on the PC and just copy them over the network? If less than 16 GB of data, you can get dirt cheap thumb drives that will hold it all too (easier and faster.)

You mention buying firewire. You will not be able to plug a firewire cable into the PC and have the Mac see it as a hard drive so not sure where you are going with that.
I had a friend recommend that. So he'll get a nice hand upside the back of the head.

The information isn't more than 16 GB. Probably around 4 or 5.

Thumb drive it is.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Just burn a DVD or transfer it via TCP/IP. OS X comes with a utility that automates the process.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
simba, what is that utility? i have a pc that is shared on my network of macs, but i usually can't pull any files from it.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
simba, what is that utility? i have a pc that is shared on my network of macs, but i usually can't pull any files from it.
Migration Assistant. It's in Applications -> Utilities

Note that it's designed to move from another machine to a new Mac, not do network file sharing. For that you can use any number of services.