Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Need Apple Support

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Another option you may want to explore-- if you have another Mac with firewire, you can connect your old laptop to your other machine by booting it into firewire target mode. You can then access the hard drive on the old machine directly and pull your data off.

1) Shut down the old computer, and connect a 6-pin firewire cable between it and your other machine, which should be left running.

2) Power on the old machine while holding down the T key until the firewire icon appears on the screen. Once the icon appears you can release the key.

3) Once the old machine boots in target mode, its hard drive should appear on your new machine's desktop, and you can access it as any other hard drive and copy your files.

When you're finished, eject the drive and reboot the old machine.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
SuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting suggestion. I wonder how long it would take to transfer 60GB over to my new machine. I think I have some firewire cables around. I still have my first gen iPod, although the battery is fried.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Teamspeed Member
Craddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond repute
Figure a couple of hours tops to transfer the 60GB. Set it all going, then go for dinner and a movie. Should be done when you get back. Or set it up and go to bed for the night.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
SuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks... I'll try it this week and let you know how that goes. I guess it's a good thing I have an iBook around here too that I can use while that's going on, lol. Can you say, big geek, lol.

Last edited by SuperVixen; 12-01-2008 at 02:18 PM.