Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Need Apple Support

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
SuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond repute
Need Apple Support

A few months ago I purchased a T1 to back up my MacBookPro and G4PowerBook. Before I bought it I verified with Apple that I'd be able to back up both even though they have different OS. For MacBookPro I was told I can do it wirelessly, which I've started to do, but it keeps getting interrupted. For my PowerBook I was told I could do it with an ethernet cord. Well I've tried the ethernet cord and the machine can't tell there's anything connect to it. I went to best buy to find a USB cable, since I couldn't find any at the Apple store, and when I did I plugged it into their T1 and some current Apple laptop and it also didn't recognize there is anything external plugged in.

Does anyone have experience with this? Why doesn't simple work by plugging in a cord into the T1 and the other end into the machine? What am I missing?

My goal is to back up all my music and contacts and merge them together, as well as email and photos.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
what's a T1

Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
SuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond reputeSuperVixen has a reputation beyond repute
Oops.. guess it's the 1 TB. Time Capsule - 1 TB - Apple Store (U.S.) I thought it was T1 for some reason. Guess that sounded cooler. Doh.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Both machines can back up wirelessly to a Time Capsule. However, both must be running OS X 10.5 Leopard. Tiger, and other previous versions, do not have Time Machine, and hence can not (easily) back up to the device.

If you want to do it over ethernet, you'll need to configure the Time Capsule to distribute IP addresses, and set up the client machines to assign their addresses from it.

Alternatively, if they're all on the same network, it should just work automagically via bonjour.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
Originally Posted by Simba
Both machines can back up wirelessly to a Time Capsule. However, both must be running OS X 10.5 Leopard. Tiger, and other previous versions, do not have Time Machine, and hence can not (easily) back up to the device.

If you want to do it over ethernet, you'll need to configure the Time Capsule to distribute IP addresses, and set up the client machines to assign their addresses from it.

Alternatively, if they're all on the same network, it should just work automagically via bonjour.
How do I do

"
"

????

One thing to note is I cannot connect directly to the router.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
Craddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond repute
With 10.5, you should be able to connect directly to Time Capsule (wireless or with a cord), and then fire up TIme Machine and it should back up.

If this is failing using the wireless, chances are something is interfering with it. If it's not working with the cable, there are other problems (first try another cable).

As for the G4, if it's not running 10.5 (They can, but it involves some work around), it doesn't support Time Machine, and thus any backups are done using another program or manually to an external hard drive.

Hope that helps....

Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
Originally Posted by Craddosk
With 10.5, you should be able to connect directly to Time Capsule (wireless or with a cord), and then fire up TIme Machine and it should back up.

If this is failing using the wireless, chances are something is interfering with it. If it's not working with the cable, there are other problems (first try another cable).

As for the G4, if it's not running 10.5 (They can, but it involves some work around), it doesn't support Time Machine, and thus any backups are done using another program or manually to an external hard drive.

Hope that helps....
My biggest concern is I have 60GB of date on my G4 that I need backed up ASAP and I don't have 10.5. I tried several different ethernet cords and it didn't work. How do I set it up?

The Pro works fine wirelessly except it interrupts and I don't know where or how to restart. I'll tackle that later as I really want to back up the G4 as it's on it's last leg.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Why bother doing this wirelessly? I would just plug in a cable and be done with it..why not?

Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SuperVixen
My biggest concern is I have 60GB of date on my G4 that I need backed up ASAP and I don't have 10.5.
Your best bet in this case is to pick up a cheap Firewire external drive and back up to that as you would a normal hard drive. Don't get a USB-only drive as the PB G4 does not support USB 2.0, hence it'll take forever and a year to transfer your data.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Team Speed's Super Vixen
Originally Posted by Control It
Why bother doing this wirelessly? I would just plug in a cable and be done with it..why not?
That's what I'm trying to do, but it's not as simple as just plugging a cord in the box and one in my laptop. Hence I started this thread. Where's the wall bang smiley? Where's my PR/IT support? lol

Quick Reply: Need Apple Support