Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Just bought MacBook..

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SteveH
i have the 13" Macbook with the faster processor which means it has the backlit keyboard and is exactly like my girlfriend's new Macbook Pro. I don't care about the firewire and like the 13" size much better so it was a no brainer for m.
wow...had no idea...salesman didn't mention that as an option..that's awesome..I got really good treatment for once at the store..they gave me discounts which i didn't even know I could get..then when I was all finished the salesman heard me on the phone with my daughter and gave me a student discount on top of it all..

I hope I can return this one for the higher end one..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Just read the return policy on Apple's site...think this might be an issue...

wonderful.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond repute
14 day return policy with 10% restocking fee. What discounts did you get? I got the education discount but have never heard of anything else.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 AM
MrTheBadGuy
so worst case a restocking fee...I'll see what i can do.

I have to get the receipt..never got an email or a receipt..I wound up getting $200 off total but also bought an iPhone at the same time as well as Applecare which i never usually buy.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
I made the jump about two weeks ago when my windows laptop got all frizzy on me. I almost spent about five grand in computer and peripherals b/c I made the mistake of going to the Apple store at Best Buy. B/c things seemed out of sort, I called a friend who's a Mac guru and he had me meet him at the Apple store at our local mall. The people there were much more helpful.

I also went with the MacBook instead of MBP, as the Apple guy really stated that I don't need the extra video card and that because I was transferring out of a 3 pound Sony Vaio, I'd be better off with the lightest and most similar sized Apple. Looking back, I like the recommendations. I ended up getting the top of the line MacBook, with the glossy screen, 2.4 processor and 2GB RAM. (edit- this is prolly the one SteveH has too. It's worth the extra 300 bucks to upgrade to this. If you add your ram in the store they'll give you a discount. If possible, buy at the Apple store- you'll pay sales tax but you'll get your stuff right away)

AFAIK, the RAM from your old macbook is DDR2, and the RAM in your new one is DDR3, so even if it works, it'll slow down your computer. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE I MADE. I went to Fry's and bought an extra 2gb RAM. It worked but my computer continually froze. So I took the aftermarket RAM out and replaced the original RAM, but in so doing, I broke the holder. The next day, I had to go back to the Apple store with the week old computer that I broke. Thankfully they were cool and fixed my problem free of charge. While I was there I had them install the extra RAM, so now I'm running the max 4gb and it does speed things up but the computer was fast as hell to begin with. The cost to add the RAM at the apple store is about $300- just let them do it, because they told me that the RAM on the MacBook is not consumer upgradeable, whatever that means.

Had I known how much I'd love my MacBook, I'd have moved to the Apple format long ago. My Adobe CS4 Web Premium arrives today. . .can't wait to mess with it. FWIW Adobe was great to deal with in transitioning free of charge from Windows to Mac formats.

Last edited by ajindfw; 11-10-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
MrTheBadGuy
If I didnt have a MacPro (Tower), without a doubt, I would have gotten the MBP as it's able to drive a 30" monitor, better video resolution, firewire, etc. I much prefer the MBP over the MacBook in the last iterations (other than the size). I wish Apple would have made a 13" version of the Pro but they are too smart to do that it seems.

Finally a sturdy laptop from Apple. I've owned Apple products forever and their laptops used to suck, then were ok, now are great with these new ones.