Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and you!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Dual Tone 'Espresso/Cognac' Natural Leather Interior on 991

I took photos this week of a just arrived 2014 991 'Anthracite Brown Metallic' C4S at my local dealership - Porsche of Monterey (CA) - that was ordered with the new dual tone 'Espresso/Cognac' full leather interior. Both of these materials are 'Natural/Special' premium leather and it cost US$5,630. As part of the dual tone package, you get deviating stitching (Cognac) on the dash, top of doors and top of rear coupe panels.

To put the price of this option in perspective, please know that the dual tone 'Black/Luxor Beige', which doesn't provide a Natural/Special leather content, costs $4,120. But it includes the same type of deviating stitching in the same panels. So the additional charge for 'Natural/Special' leather is $1,510.

The full leather non-dual tone 'Espresso', for example, costs $5,200. So the additional charge for dual tone 'Espresso/Cognac' and the deviating stitching (at $5,630) is only $430!

A full leather non-dual tone 'Luxor Beige' interior costs only $3,690. But, you must take into consideration the following:

a) 'Luxor Beige' is not as rich of a color as 'Cognac' for the seats and side panels.

b) The dash in a light color like 'Luxor Beige' provides glare on the front windshield. This is one of the biggest negatives for the lighter color interiors and one of the biggest advantages of all dual-tone packages!

c) Any deviating stitching would have to be paid for as an extra. The dual-tone packages include $1170 of deviating stitching at no extra charge in a coupe and $780 in a cab. Otherwise it would be $390 each for dash, top of the doors and to top of rear panel (coupe only).

d) The standard offerings (Luxor Beige, Black, etc) are not the premium Semi-Aniline 'Natural' type leather. The latter is dyed exclusively with soluble dyes without covering the surface with a topcoat paint or insoluble pigments. The resulting product retains the hide's natural surface with the 'grain', i.e. visible pores, scars etc. of the complete original animal's skin structure. For automotive use, the natural leather has a thin top coat added (thus semi-aniline) to protect it from wear and staining. I also think that the semi-aniline full leather interiors have a deeper scent of leather 'fragrance' which might add to its appeal!

When you identify all of the advantages of these dual packages offered by Porsche, especially this latest 'Espresso/Cognac' natural leather option, you come to appreciate why some (like me) think that $5,630 for this option is a 'best buy'! Besides, it is the closest interior we get in the 991 to the old 'Natural Brown Leather' option which was offered in the 997. 'Natural Brown' was my old favorite in a Porsche interior. But now I think this 'Espresso/Cognac' dual tone is perhaps even a better proposition!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS The only additional thing I would consider when ordering the dual tone 'Espresso/Cognac' package is the addition of 'carpeting in a deviating color'. This is approx. a $800 additional expense. I would select a dark carpeting - Espresso, Agate or Black - to highlight the 'Cognac' leather seating & side panels of the interior cabin. It is also easier to keep 'clean'.

Attached Images           

Last edited by z356; 12-18-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
'Tangerine/Blutorange' rejected by Porsche for PTS

Some sad news to report. I was over at the Rennteam website and came upon this news on a post from DaveC in Florida:

'I requested a feability check for Blutorange/Tangerine (018) back in June 13 and it was turned down last month. Evidently the color, even an old Porsche color, must be tested on all the potential painted surfaces for several months determining fade and wear durability.'

Back in early May of 2013, I assisted DaveC in locating an old PTS color chip of 'Blutorange/Tangerine 018' through my contacts at 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany (see attached below). The color apparently failed the fade test, although Dave is speculating that perhaps PAG is keeping it reserved as a future 'Limited Edition' color for a special model (e.g. 991 RS). Regardless, the color has been rejected for PTS. Below I have also attached the last PCNA list of approved PTS colors that I know of. PTS window presently closed until MY2015 order books open, possibly June 2014. Believe PTS window on MY2014 closed around Dec. 20th, 2013. But those PTS orders for the remaining MY2014 models accepted by the factory before that December date will be built in the course of the next few months.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
St_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DJ
Love the Speedster!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Dyna You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
its not a speedster.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Speedster's 'Pure Blue' vs 'Riviera Blue'

Originally Posted by St_Ex
Love the Speedster!

Originally Posted by Dyna
its not a speedster.
Dyna is correct. This is actually the MY2012 'Riviera Blue' Carrera 4 GTS .2 997 cabriolet with Speedster's Fuchs wheels that Isringhausen Porsche custom ordered & received in early 2012. It was quite nice...albeit expensive at around US$150K msrp.

The 'Pure Blue' color of the MY2011 Speedster is a bit different. That color was exclusive to this limited edition model.

Both colors, in my opinion, look terrific!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
St_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished roadSt_Ex is on a distinguished road
^^You're right guys, just confused with the rims and the color..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MY2014 991S custom ordered in PTS 'Signal Green' available...

I received an email this morning re: a dealer-specced MY2014 991S custom order in PTS 'Signal Green'. Looks like an interesting build. It should arrive later this Spring at the dealership here in the USA. 'Signal Green' is a non-metallic color. The color formula used on this one will be the currently PTS-approved '22S' for 'Signal Green' (offered in the early 1990's by Porsche), not the more recent 'W25' formula of 'Signal Green' used for my 2007 997 Carrera S! The color should look something like 964 in the attached first photo, since that is the period when this formula was last used as a special factory offering for this color! The second photo is of my 'W25' 'Signal Green' coupe!

The PTS window is currently closed. So no PTS can be ordered for the remaining production of the MY2014 991 or 981. If anyone is interested in this 'Signal Green' 991S, please email me & give you the specs (total retail price is US$144,335). I'll also refer you to the dealer who ordered on spec this particular vehicle! I have no affiliation or any other financial arrangements with this dealership. I just think it's a fascinating color which might be of interest to someone here at Teamspeed!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PCNA's configurator showing some key changes today. Not clear yet if for MY2015 Only or if includes balance of MY2014 production!

Among the highlights:

1) 'Carrera Red' Leather interior replaced by totally new 'Garnet Red' as one of two choices in Special/Natural Leathers.

2) 'Black/Garnet Red' is now offered as an additional 'Two Tone' offering. With appropriate deviating stitching as with previous 'Two Tones' (Black/Luxor Beige, Agate/Pebble Grey, Black/Platinum Grey). Since the 'Black' portion is not a Natural leather, it doesn't qualify for a Natural Two Tone as does 'Espresso/Cognac'. This is bound to be a popular option since there has been numerous request for Porsche to offer a coordinated 'Black/Red' interior for ages. They finally allowed a 'Black/Carrera Red' in the 991 Turbo S and this brings new offering (albeit with Garnet) brings it to all other 991 models!

3) New Metallic Paints offering: 'Jet Black Metallic' (instead of 'Basalt Black') and 'Carrara White Metallic'.

4) Park Assist with Reversing Camera (no surprise - it's mandatory for US for new Model Year).

Hope others can add what other changes they have noticed in the PCNA configurator!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
fjpgt3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Reversing camera is mandatory? Shows as an option. Any more info?

Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by fjpgt3
Reversing camera is mandatory? Shows as an option. Any more info?
That is what I read...but it might still be delayed a bit. Final rule expected by Jan 2015. But its inclusion in a modern sport car like the 991 is not unexpected and other Porsche models (including 918 Spyder) already offer it! But you are right. Once it becomes mandatory, they will not be able to charge extra as a option!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/bu...cles.html?_r=0

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...era-regulation

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and you!