Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   991 | 997 | 996 (https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997-996/)
-   -   Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and you! (https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997-996/74642-custom-ordering-991-porsche-exclusive-you.html)

z356 07-25-2012 03:10 PM

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and you!

1 Attachment(s)
This thread's purpose is to shed some light into the sometimes opaque world of 'Porsche Exclusive'. And to disseminate some of information I have gained from past Porsche ordering experiences and current research into custom ordering a 991. I hope that others join in and share their ordering experiences so that we can establish a well documented thread that is helpful to others that are contemplating custom ordering their cars. In general, Americans rarely custom order a Porsche. Most just buy what dealers have ordered, which are often 'safe' choices that appeals to an 'average' buyer. It's no wonder that so many 991's are spec'ed pretty much the same in so many regional markets. 'Porsche Exclusive', if used wisely, opens up a whole new world of personalization for you & your car which is relatively rare to find today in the mass-production automotive industry. Mercedes and BMW offers no equivalent program in the US. Only 'Audi Exclusive' offers something similar.

The many different choices available through 'Porsche Exclusive' sometimes can overwhelm the 'average' Porsche customer. And few dealers have experienced sales staff that knows the inside/out of custom ordering a car and the intricacies of 'Porsche Exclusive'. So YOU will have to do your own homework and research before you can successfully master this complex ordering system. I hope this thread lifts the veil on some of the custom ordering process at Porsche and helps some of you achieve the perfect 991 spec! I am not affiliated with PAG, PCNA or any dealer, so all of this is being done is the spirit of 'Liebe Zu Ihm'.

I will initially touch on the following topics:

1) Paint to Sample
2) Leather interior choices
3) Deviating Stitching
4) Leather to Sample
4) Wheels in deviating colors
5) Special Requests not found in Configurator
6) New options about to be announced

1) Paint to Sample

Timing: Available for a limited time window during the model year. Opens and closes depending on series production scheduling. In the initial limited period of MY2012 991, it was open briefly then closed as MY2013 production was about to start. Now it appears to be open again for MY2013 991. Could close on the MY2013 991 sometime in the late Fall or early Winter of 2012, but apparently nothing yet has been communicated to dealers. Seems like the factory likes to bunch up PTS requests in batches and tries to do them all in a row. If you know something about the complicated process of auto painting technology, you probably will understand why! So always check that the window for PTS is open so that you are not disappointed by being shut out due to the factory 'fickle' PTS scheduling!

Cost: Currently $5,500.

Colors Available: Any...as long as it passes a very strict and severe test conducted by PAG in Zuffenhausen with the assistance of their current paint supplier - Dupont. Some colors that are deemed proprietary to a model (e.g. Speedster Blue or Sport Classic Grey) are often 'off-limits'. Some that are registered trade-marks of corporations (e.g. Gulf colors) might also be currently prohibited. Overall, what Porsche is looking to do is limit customer complaints that might trigger costly warranty claims and consumer dissatisfaction of mis-matched colors on any part of the vehicle. Since the materials now used in cars involve steel, plastic, carbon fiber, etc, it is important that colors don't fade at a different rate on the varied surfaces of a modern Porsche!

The process of determining suitability could take weeks or months. It only starts after you place the order with your dealer and it sends an actual 'sample' metal piece painted (minimum size of a business letter) with your desired PTS color to the factory in Germany. So this 'Paint to Sample' process is not for those that are in a hurry in getting their 991's or are easily upset by a possible rejection of your color selection! But perseverance will reward you efforts with a fairly rare or even unique color on your special vehicle!

To their credit, PCNA has actually issued a document on 6/4/2012 which told dealers of PTS colors that they have already tested and pre-approved. This is a tremendous advantage for those of you willing to select one of those pre-approved colors because you don't have to submit color 'samples' and wait in limbo! It means you quickly pass 'Go' and your car can be quickly scheduled for production!

Among the PTS colors pre-approved as of 6/4/2012 are:

Mexico Blue
Riviera Blue
RS Green
Pastell Orange (German Spelling)
Aetna Blue (misspelled in List as Etna)
Stone Grey
Fashion Grey
Grey Black
Arena Red
Brewster Green
Arctic Silver

Among the PTS colors officially rejected and 'Not Available' are:
Aquamarine Blue Metallic
Atlas Grey Metallic
Slate Metallic
RS Orange (from personal experience)

Among the PTS under 'Feasibility Check Started' are:
Gulf Blue (don't bet on being approved!)
Gulf Orange (don't bet on being approved!)
Carrara White
Horizon Blue Metallic
Ipanema Blue Metallic
Peru Red
Sepia Brown
Maritime Blue
Meteor Grey Metallic
Voodoo Blue
Polar Silver Metallic

Among the colors under 'Feasibility Check Necessary' are:
Guards Red
Speed Yellow
GTS Red
Azzurro California Metallic
and countless others!

That is enough to digest on the first day!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

PorscheBoy 07-25-2012 03:21 PM

this is a very cool thread. and sir, i admire the hell out of your past and current porsches.

parealtor 07-25-2012 03:22 PM

great info. I live this kind of unknown unless you ask stuff

Guest 07-25-2012 03:35 PM

Wow, great info. Very interesting.

DJ 07-25-2012 04:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the post! Riviera Blue makes me weak in the knees ;)

Attachment 111591

Attachment 111592

Attachment 111590

Brandon 07-25-2012 09:25 PM

Good stuff....

Is there a swatch of the PTS list somewhere?

Any chance we can see some pics of those 356's ? :smilie:

z356 07-26-2012 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 1367579)
Good stuff....Is there a swatch of the PTS list somewhere?

Not to my knowledge. You will have to do old fashion detective work and look up the colors via Google images.

Re: "Any chance we can see some pics of those 356's?" Most of my 356's were gone from my garage before the age of digital photography came of age. The only digital photos I have handy are of my the last (and best) 356 that I kept for over 15 long years! It was a 1965 C Cabriolet with 35k original miles, factory paint, interior & top. A museum quality vehicle that would have done very well in Preservation Class at any PCA Parade, although I never took it out to a single show - ever! It was 'Signal Red' with black leather seats. It was built very early in 1965, one of the last made before production ended that Winter. Bought from the original owner from Sunnyvale, CA. Included full records, tool kit, etc. It was purchased at Gus Mozart dealership in Palo Alto in May of 1965, the last of the 356's among brand new 911's in the dealer's showroom. Set a record sales price for a 356 C cabriolet when I sold it in 2007! Photo taken in a garage at a former mountain home we used to have in Nevada.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

20C4S 07-26-2012 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by z356 (Post 1367745)
Not to my knowledge. You will have to do old fashion detective work and look up the colors via Google images.

Re: "Any chance we can see some pics of those 356's?" Most of my 356's were gone from my garage before the age of digital photography came of age. The only digital photos I have handy are of my the last (and best) 356 that I kept for over 15 long years! It was a 1965 C Cabriolet with 35k original miles, factory paint, interior & top. A museum quality vehicle that would have done very well in Preservation Class at any PCA Parade, although I never took it out to a single show - ever! It was 'Signal Red' with black leather seats. It was built very early in 1965, one of the last made before production ended that Winter. Bought from the original owner from Sunnyvale, CA. Included full records, tool kit, etc. It was purchased at Gus Mozart dealership in Palo Alto in May of 1965, the last of the 356's among brand new 911's in the dealer's showroom. Set a record sales price for a 356 C cabriolet when I sold it in 2007! Photo taken in a garage at a former mountain home we used to have in Nevada.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

what a nice 356 Eduardo. love the story. congrats on owning a piece of history.

jpmc 07-26-2012 01:19 AM

This thread delivers!

Maxtheone 07-26-2012 04:41 AM

is there no "designo" mercedes benz available in the US?