Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Black Editions: End of an era, or 997 refined??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
"obscure bolt edition".

NEED WANT that edition!!! GOTTA HAVE IT!!! lol

Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Ynot You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I agree with everyone's opinion, they could do without it but they are nicely optioned for a lower price.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!marakji You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
It's for the tourists... The GTS is a fine pre-packaged 997 to end the carrera line with...

Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Jox says it all this is over friggin board already enuff enuff enuff...let it die please...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
You have to think of it this way. Here are all of the special 997's we've had.

Club Coupe
Sport Classic
Speedster
GT2 RS
Black Edition
Black Edition Cabriolet

It's really not that many, but in addition to the 18 standard production 911s, it seems like a lot. IMHO, the Sport Classic, Speedster, and GT2 RS were all substantially different from the cars they were based on, and deserve a spot in the 911 lineup. The Carrera GTS is also deserving of a spot. The Black Editions though, don't deserve a spot at all. They're pointless.

Besides these dumb Black Editions, I don't get all of the hate for the 997. I always see people complaining about how much they hate all of these special editions, yet I see them professing their love to some of the special editions in other threads.

Jox, I want to ask, what do you think would be the ideal 997 lineup? You seem to have a very valid opinion on this subject (not a joke lineup, serious).

Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
My opinion, give us the RS 4.0, stop making 997's and bring out the 991! Start with the basic C2, C2 Cab, C2S, C4S, etc. Eliminate the Targa model by turning it into an option on 991 coupes (which I think Porsche is going to do judging by spyshots, my fear though is that it's standard), and then introduce a Turbo/Turbo Cab and GT3 the following year, roll out a GT3 RS and GT2, and then be done with it, unless they can think of a limited edition actually worth producing. Then, start the cycle all over again with the 991.2, add in a GT2 RS, and then give us the 992!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrara
My opinion, give us the RS 4.0, stop making 997's and bring out the 991! Start with the basic C2, C2 Cab, C2S, C4S, etc. Eliminate the Targa model by turning it into an option on 991 coupes (which I think Porsche is going to do judging by spyshots, my fear though is that it's standard), and then introduce a Turbo/Turbo Cab and GT3 the following year, roll out a GT3 RS and GT2, and then be done with it, unless they can think of a limited edition actually worth producing. Then, start the cycle all over again with the 991.2, add in a GT2 RS, and then give us the 992!
What Carrara said...

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
It has some 'value' to it; but they're just phasing out the 997. Which is a shame; instead of 'special editions- they should offer a 2 or 3 day course at Skip Barber so they can really learn how to drive a 911.

That's what builds passion for the brand. Track Days!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond reputejamie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jox
I'll refrain from anything substantial and use the words I really want to, since this is a strategic partner thread, but let's just say that the 997 platform has successfully turned what used to be my favorite brand into the biggest whore the automotive world has ever seen. It's gotten to a point where I'd rather go and punch whoever's responsible for this over at Porsche HQ than visiting the museum in Stuttgart.

I mean, hell - it used to be fun to poke around at Porsche's absolutely hysterical ways to milk everything they could out of the platform, but that was around 20 variants ago. Now it's just outrageously pathetic and downright insulting. If they found as much as an odd bolt on the part shelves they'd put it in a limited number of cars and call it the "obscure bolt edition".

Somebody burn down the warehouse where they keep 997 assembly line already so we can get something else for a change.
Yer just bitter because they refused your deposit on the "Big Black Dildo LE".

Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
There is nothing special about a base model, no matter what color it is.

Quick Reply: Black Editions: End of an era, or 997 refined??