Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Lots of 996 -> 997 Conversion questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
which 996 are you talking about to start with? C2, TT?

here's an idea if you want to be cost effective and in a quick porsche

buy a base 996 for 25-30K

520HP turbo kit from TPC 10K -> TPCRacing 520HP 997/996 Turbo Kit - TPC Racing

GT3RS kit -> RevoZport Racing Technology Ltd.

CF Roof -> GMG Racing - Porsche Aerodynamics - Factory GT2 Components, Cargraphic, Techart

wheels/suspension up to you. bam, fingers in the p***y.
I actually got a ride in a very similar car a few weeks ago.. And I had my camera rolling. It was an IMA Motorsports 996 GT3 converted to a GT3 RS, turbocharged to 516 rwhp. Very fast.

YouTube - Porsche 911 GT3 "Turbo RS" revs, and ride.

If you wanted to build a car just like the one above, it would cost you 50k for the car, and about 20k for all of the mods, so about the same as the 997 build I suggested above.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Here is also a very good site for Porsche exterior mods. The links on the side of the page will take you to pdf catalogs.

GT Racing - Porsche fiberglass parts. Manufacturer of quality lightweight body panels.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6
I actually got a ride in a very similar car a few weeks ago.. And I had my camera rolling. It was an IMA Motorsports 996 GT3 converted to a GT3 RS, turbocharged to 516 rwhp. Very fast.

If you wanted to build a car just like the one above, it would cost you 50k for the car, and about 20k for all of the mods, so about the same as the 997 build I suggested above.
not really similar at all, you are talking about starting with a 996 GT3 which would double the price of the car versus getting a base 996 as i suggested. my total build would be around 45K depending on wheels/suspension.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
If I had 50k to spend on a 911, I would no doubt go with a variation of your build.
thanks, my self esteem just shot through the roof.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nice
I hope I helped! My answers are in bold.

I have a question for you. What model 997 are you going to buy? The new 997.2 as new? Or the 997.1 base Carrera with some upgrades?

Here is a video of the AWE Tuning exhaust system for the 997 C2S. The exhaust adds 28-39hp to the crank. That's a potential of 394hp if you buy the Carrera S.

YouTube - AWE Tuning- 997 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Also, here is a video of the same exhausts that you posted earlier. These sound better while revving, but worse while accelerating compared to the AWE exhausts. Go to the 1:00 mark to get to the revving and acceleration.

YouTube - 997 NHP Exhaust Full System with Cat-Bypass Pipes

The hp gain is less than the AWE's by about 10hp. The AWE exhaust system is also $1,000 cheaper.

NHP Full 997 Gen.1 Performance Exhaust System
$3090 (exhaust system with bypass)
Website

AWE 2005-08 997 and 997S Exhaust System
$4435 (for full exhaust system and FULL potential)
Website

I recommend you get a used 2005 911 (997) Carrera S, get that bumper that was your favorite, get the rear bumper that goes with it, the Turbo deck lid (engine cover), and maybe some side skirts to finish the look? Then get the AWE Tuning exhaust system. If you purchase in around a year, the total cost from when you buy your car, get all of the mods and park it in your garage should be around 75k. I75k for a 400hp insane looking 997 Porsche is well worth it. I think that's your best bet.
thanks a bunch for your help. Those exhaust systems do sound tempting I'll have to find a way to hear some of them in person to give me a better idea of what they're like...and how livable they will be on a regular basis. Not yet sure if i will DD the car. Seems like we have the same idea that's what I do have in mind i've been searching some of the classifieds finding one doesn't seem like it'll pose to much of a problem.

which 996 are you talking about to start with? C2, TT?

here's an idea if you want to be cost effective and in a quick porsche

buy a base 996 for 25-30K

520HP turbo kit from TPC 10K -> TPCRacing 520HP 997/996 Turbo Kit - TPC Racing

GT3RS kit -> RevoZport Racing Technology Ltd.

CF Roof -> GMG Racing - Porsche Aerodynamics - Factory GT2 Components, Cargraphic, Techart

wheels/suspension up to you. bam, fingers in the p***y.
LOL at the last part. That doesnt sound like a bad idea but i've actually decided on going with a 997 CS and moding from there. But thanks for your suggestion

YouTube - Porsche 911 GT3 "Turbo RS" revs, and ride.

Sorry IMHO car doesnt sound or look anything like what i'd like mine to look like. but thanks for your suggestion

Here is also a very good site for Porsche exterior mods. The links on the side of the page will take you to pdf catalogs.

GT Racing - Porsche fiberglass parts. Manufacturer of quality lightweight body panels.
Fantastic now i'm definitely not going to be doing anything productive durring the day haha

not really similar at all, you are talking about starting with a 996 GT3 which would double the price of the car versus getting a base 996 as i suggested. my total build would be around 45K depending on wheels/suspension.
Hence why i've changed my mind and am now looking at a 997 Cs

Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura aboutvsll726 has a spectacular aura about

This used to be one of my friend's car in Vancouver!!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nice
its gorgeous..what's the info on it?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
WickedMotorWorks is an unknown quantity at this point
When looking to convert your Porsche 996 to a 997 look, focus on the quality and experience not price. There are a lot of cheap fiberglass conversion parts that looks fine in a photo, but when you buy the parts and try to install them on your car, you will find they really do not work in application and if you force them to work, you will ruin your Porsche and it's value. To do it correctly costs money and a lot of it.

First, stay away from fiberglass parts when it comes to structural body panels, like fenders, quarter panels and hoods. Why? because structural body parts experience a lot of force, twist pressure, body roll and friction that causes eventual stress cracks. Bumpers, decklids and wings are okay in fiberglass because they do not have these forces working against them. When the vehicle moves, turns, goes over bumps and the body rolls, stress cracks will occur in fiberglass structural parts at their mounting points. Once air or moisture gets into the opening from the cracks coupled with the expansion and contraction caused by the sun, the cracks will increase, paint imperfections will appear and your body lines will warp. In short, your Porsche will drop in value dramatically.

If you want to do the conversion, always try to use as many factory parts as possible. Use Steel converted factory fenders, aluminum factory hood, the bumper can be fiberglass that's not a problem, however, these factory parts require extensive custom fabrication and metal work to fit on your 996. This kind of work is time consuming, labor intensive, expensive and requires extensive experience. However, this is how to do it correctly and have everything fit and look like factory, because they are factory parts. I have purchased the cheaper fiberglass conversion parts from others just to study them and find their defects in application. And I found that the fenders do not fit correctly (in the door area and the hood area), the fiberglass hood hardware hits the inner part of the fender (if you shave it down, the gap will be too big), the hood hits the power steering reservoir (the inner part of the hood must be cut, making it weaker), the inner gas door housing on the right fender hits the upper apron frame of the vehicle (must modify, looks bad when gas door is open), the lines of the fender, hood and bumpers are very bad and need a lot of bondo to correct (too much bondo is not good as that material also cracks with time or under heat. Fender liners do not fit correctly. In short, do it right and spend the money or do not do it at all, you will only destroy your Porsche if saving money is your main focus.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Wicked as you are not sponsor please note the RULES of the forum in the top left corner (drop down on first tab in nav bar) but we will let this one post stay up, please check your PM

Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
AGD911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
If you're going to convert a 996, make it into a Ruf RGT or something cool like that. Don't go the 997 look-alike route - it won't be worth the time or effort or money. As mentioned, if you really like the 997, sell the 996 and move up.
I totally agree. A RUF RGT is a very cool option.

Quick Reply: Lots of 996 -> 997 Conversion questions!