Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Lots of 996 -> 997 Conversion questions!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
This is pretty stunning INMO!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Bingo - DJ is reading my mind. RGT, RTurbo, etc. Do a Ruf clone and that'll be hot...

Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nice
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6
I'm not going to flame you. Everyone has there opinion. Another thing about converting the 996 to a 997, the conversion doesn't cover the rear end, just the front. The most noticeable difference from the 996-997 to the 997 is that the bonette is very different. The Wicked kit however assesses nearly exterior panel.

I say either get a 996, or just get a 997. Maybe get a 997 Turbo, and convert it to the 997 GT2 look (it won't look good if it's not lowered). I also liked the idea posted above ^^ about getting a 996 Turbo, and converting it to a GT2. I've seen 996 GT3's as low as 45k, Turbos as low as 43k, and 996's as low as 18k. The 997.1 GT3 is around 70k for a "okay" one. If I were you I'd buy a 996 Turbo for about 50k, and convert it to a 997 GT2. Good luck.
thanks for the reply, i'm going to be looking into full kit conversions as well as finding all the misc details between the two cars. Hopefully find a way to do the conversion at a good price and very clean. Otherwise i'll just not go through with it. I'm going to look more into your recommendations mentioned as well.

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
If you're going to convert a 996, make it into a Ruf RGT or something cool like that. Don't go the 997 look-alike route - it won't be worth the time or effort or money. As mentioned, if you really like the 997, sell the 996 and move up.
I did not think about doing something like this i'll have to look into this as well.

Originally Posted by DJ
This is pretty stunning INMO!
I agree 100% it does look good however imho its outdated.

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Bingo - DJ is reading my mind. RGT, RTurbo, etc. Do a Ruf clone and that'll be hot...
Thanks, I will look into these!

I've found tons of articles and threads on various forums where people have attempted this. Glad to know its not entirely frowned on in the Porsche community and it has and can be done!

996 to 997 finished!! 18/05/06 Done for 13k

Old 05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zeeshan66
That looks like a very solid conversion. If you didn't see the interior or details you'd be fooled easily. You can get a 996 Carrera S for about 40k, and then the 13k upgrade would make it 53k. The only problem with that is that you can get a more powerful ACTUAL 997.1 base Carrera for 50k. Maybe just get a base 997.1 Carrera, upgrade it to the 997 GT2 look or whatever else you want? Just my suggestions. Here is a price list for you, for moderate mileage-condition.

996 C2 $30,000
996 C2 S $32,000
996 Turbo $50,000
996 GT3 $45,000
996 Turbo S $60,000
997 C2 $59,000
997 C2S $62,000
997 Turbo $90,000
997 GT3 $69,000

Old 05-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
996 Has Its Own Look, Dont Pose Just Be Happy And Save The $ For The Lambo!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nicezeeshan66 is just really nice
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6
That looks like a very solid conversion. If you didn't see the interior or details you'd be fooled easily. You can get a 996 Carrera S for about 40k, and then the 13k upgrade would make it 53k. The only problem with that is that you can get a more powerful ACTUAL 997.1 base Carrera for 50k. Maybe just get a base 997.1 Carrera, upgrade it to the 997 GT2 look or whatever else you want? Just my suggestions. Here is a price list for you, for moderate mileage-condition.

996 C2 $30,000
996 C2 S $32,000
996 Turbo $50,000
996 GT3 $45,000
996 Turbo S $60,000
997 C2 $59,000
997 C2S $62,000
997 Turbo $90,000
997 GT3 $69,000
Thanks for the advice I think i'm finally understanding what everyone's saying. And it seems like what I need to be doing is looking at an 2005+ Carrera. Possibly upgrading the front bumper because a conversion kit at that point would probably be out of my budget. Here are my two NEW questions

1) What after market exhaust options are out there? I've been youtubeing and can't come across any that sound deep or loud enough for me. Maybe its the carreras...?

Best sound I can find (not sure about performance figures though) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttYjJ8m-tXA

2) The rear quarter panels of the 911's have intakes is that possible to do to a carrera or should i only stick to changing the rear and front bumper?

This website says "Add the 997 Turbo style air intakes to your 997 C/4, C4S quarter panels. No need to change your quarter panels. Comes complete with template for proper location of air intakes." NR Auto Porsche Body Kits Body

3) Can the rear engine cover be changed to resemble something of the 977 Turbos?

4) Finally, if I am able and do decide to splurge what turbo options do I have?

I hope this move would be more smiled upon from the P community as opposed to trying to "modernize" a 996. These two front bumpers are so far at the top of my list.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! Will in all likelihood choose unless there is some outrage from the porsche community

My backup

Last edited by zeeshan66; 05-12-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Please don't.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zeeshan66
Thanks for the advice I think i'm finally understanding what everyone's saying. And it seems like what I need to be doing is looking at an 2005+ Carrera. Possibly upgrading the front bumper because a conversion kit at that point would probably be out of my budget. Here are my two NEW questions

1) What after market exhaust options are out there? I've been youtubeing and can't come across any that sound deep or loud enough for me. Maybe its the carreras...?
The current 911 GT3 is the sound you're looking for. The Carreras and Turbos unfortunately are too tamed to make a similar sound. I would suggest Borla or Tubi though. AWE Tuning has my personal favorite exhaust for the 997.1.

2) The rear quarter panels of the 911's have intakes is that possible to do to a carrera or should i only stick to changing the rear and front bumper?

This website says "Add the 997 Turbo style air intakes to your 997 C/4, C4S quarter panels. No need to change your quarter panels. Comes complete with template for proper location of air intakes." NR Auto Porsche Body Kits Body
Yes that is possible, but the rear quarter panels will only fit on all 911 AWD models. Wether you want to put the air intakes on is a matter of personal style. If you want a RWD car with the air intakes, you could get the quarter panels converted to those of the C4, but that is an unnecessary expense.

3) Can the rear engine cover be changed to resemble something of the 977 Turbos?
Absolutely.

4) Finally, if I am able and do decide to splurge what turbo options do I have?
The current 911 Turbo has a very LONG options list and can run you up from $132,800 on the base price, to more than $180,000. May I suggest going to HOME - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG and clicking "Build Your Porsche" in the bottom left corner and you can build and price any current 911 model you want. Here is a list of a some options and their prices directly from the Porsche site.

Wheel Caps with Colored Crest $185
Rims and Caps - Exterior Color $1,490
Wheels Painted Black $1,815
Wheels Painted Basalt Black $1,815
Wheels Painted Speed Yellow $1,815
Wheels Painted Guards Red $1,815
Wheels Painted in Deviating Exterior Color $1,815
Dynamic Cornering Lights $690
Delete Model Designation $0
Park Assist System $530
Aerokit Turbo $6,950
Side Skirts in Painted in Exterior Color $750
Rear Window Wiper $360
Roof Transport System $400
Spoiler Lip Painted $640
Front Air Intakes Painted Exterior Color $750
Front Air Intakes in Aluminum Look $750
Wing Mirror in Aluminum Look $550
Wing Mirror in Aluminum Look $550
Exterior Mirror Attachment Point Finishers Painted Exterior Color $500
Headlight Cleaner cover in Exterior Color $295
Side Strips with Model Designation $775
Model Designation on Rear Lid in Exterior Color $200
Clear Tail Lights. $610
There are much more on the Configurator.

I hope this move would be more smiled upon from the P community as opposed to trying to "modernize" a 996. These two front bumpers are so far at the top of my list.

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! Will in all likelihood choose unless there is some outrage from the porsche community

I don't like the look of it, and I think it looks worse than stock, but at the same time it looks a little more extreme. The whole point of woning a Porsche is to be unique. So if the community doesn't like it, don't listen. I approve.

My backup

That is the bumper from the 997.1 911 GT3.
I hope I helped! My answers are in bold.

I have a question for you. What model 997 are you going to buy? The new 997.2 as new? Or the 997.1 base Carrera with some upgrades?

Here is a video of the AWE Tuning exhaust system for the 997 C2S. The exhaust adds 28-39hp to the crank. That's a potential of 394hp if you buy the Carrera S.

YouTube - AWE Tuning- 997 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Last edited by Carrera; 05-12-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Also, here is a video of the same exhausts that you posted earlier. These sound better while revving, but worse while accelerating compared to the AWE exhausts. Go to the 1:00 mark to get to the revving and acceleration.

YouTube - 997 NHP Exhaust Full System with Cat-Bypass Pipes

The hp gain is less than the AWE's by about 10hp. The AWE exhaust system is also $1,000 cheaper.

NHP Full 997 Gen.1 Performance Exhaust System
$3090 (exhaust system with bypass)
Website

AWE 2005-08 997 and 997S Exhaust System
$4435 (for full exhaust system and FULL potential)
Website

I recommend you get a used 2005 911 (997) Carrera S, get that bumper that was your favorite, get the rear bumper that goes with it, the Turbo deck lid (engine cover), and maybe some side skirts to finish the look? Then get the AWE Tuning exhaust system. If you purchase in around a year, the total cost from when you buy your car, get all of the mods and park it in your garage should be around 75k. I75k for a 400hp insane looking 997 Porsche is well worth it. I think that's your best bet.

Last edited by Carrera; 05-12-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
which 996 are you talking about to start with? C2, TT?

here's an idea if you want to be cost effective and in a quick porsche

buy a base 996 for 25-30K

520HP turbo kit from TPC 10K -> TPCRacing 520HP 997/996 Turbo Kit - TPC Racing

GT3RS kit -> RevoZport Racing Technology Ltd.

CF Roof -> GMG Racing - Porsche Aerodynamics - Factory GT2 Components, Cargraphic, Techart

wheels/suspension up to you. bam, fingers in the p***y.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lots of 996 -> 997 Conversion questions!