Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Real-Time Traffic Overlays Coming in April PCM/Nav Update!

In TSB 32/07, it states that "Where there are TMC ("Traffic Message Channel") info available, road sections for which traffic-related delays have been reported are displayed graphically on the map".

The update does not require the telephone module of satellite radio module to work, apperently, and I found that FM-radio based TMS is what Clear Channel and others broadcast here in the US (in addition to the dedicated XM and proposed Sirius TMS channels).

So....in theory, we should ACTUALLY get real-time traffic overlays with PCM 2.1 Level B/C and the Nav update!

This is great news, and I hope this is reality! I've placed my order with my dealer! BTW, coverage areas can be seen here: Real Time Traffic. Click on "Coverage" and find your area on the map. These guys are somehow hooked up with Clear Channel FM radio broadcasting of RDS / TMS info. They mention a $15/year fee, but I can't understand how that can be enforced over FM broadcast.

Anyway, should be interesting, especially with our built-in "Divert" button on the PCM Nav! If you see a "red" road ahead, hit "Divert"!