Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Chris from Cali's DC to Laguna Seca Pilgrimage

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I tickled 125 a couple times today... but overall this is how it ended:

To say I was pissed is an understatement of EPIC proportions. I ended up limping it to Hoehn in Carlsbad. They gave us a Honda Accord loaner and promised to look at it first thing Monday morning. I have no idea what caused it - we drove 2800 miles up to that point with no issues. I checked the gas cap, the oil level was good, oil/water pressure and temps were good... We'll see. We made it to my mom's house so it'll be a quiet day tomorrow. Hopefully the car will be fixed by Monday and I'll have more to post.

Here are some of the good things from our trip from Phoenix to San Diego:

My wife and I leaving the resort in Phoenix

Welcome to California - it feels DAMN good to be home again

Amazing what a DFI 997 and some downhill 6% grade will do

Ferdinand getting down with the California burrito at Santana's in El Cajon

If any of you guys have possible reasons that check engine light came on, please feel free to post. I remember something on Rennlist about a DFI fuel pump issue - I hope it's not that. Wish me luck and thanks for looking!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Oh no.....

Hit me up if you guys need anything man. Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, its a damn shame about the light. Hope it gets resolved on monday. I know how it feels to have car problems away from home, happened to me on my last road trip when I took my gf to Niagara falls.. was stuck there for extra 3 days.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, really sorry to hear about your engine, Chris. I wish I was more familiar with the new DFI engine (or Porsche engines in general) to help you troubleshoot. Luckily, you're on a board full of Porsche guys and most of them are in your neck of the woods! I'm sure you'll get it straightened out in no time.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll have it back on the road monday. Got to keep this trip thread going!!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Did you accindentally fill up low grade fuel or did you fill up at an old gas station by any chance?

If you picked up bad gas, you could have experienced enough pinging to throw a CEL.

I hope it's nothing more than an ECU error code reset...

Very beautiful wife btw!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the opinions (esp. about my wife ) - one of the other things the guy suggested at the dealership was possibly a fuse. I think a sensor could be the culprit, too. The worst gas I used was 90 octane (highest available in N. Texas!), but it's been all 91 from then on. I definitely get worse gas mileage with the 10% ethanol stuff, but I can't think that contributed to a CEL.

Hopefully I get an answer tomorrow morning - if any of you are near Hoehn Porsche tomorrow around 7:30 am, pop in and say hi!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Sucks about the CEL Chris. The VW/AUDI FSI engines have been know to blow coil packs. Was the car running rough like it's down 1 cyl? I used to keep a couple of extra coil packs in the trunk of my Audi. Probably changed them 4 times in 15,000 miles.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
If everything else is checking out fine with the car (temps, preassure, performance etc) it might be just a bad/dirty sensor (O2 or MAF) or as others mentioned bad gas.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, sorry to hear about the Porsche giving you a little trouble. Hopefully it all gets sorted out Monday AM. Looking forward to meeting the both of you next weekend!

Quick Reply: Chris from Cali's DC to Laguna Seca Pilgrimage