Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Winter Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
dubaudi is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a few things to consider. For starters you're setting yourself up to put your TT through a good deal of abuse by driving it year round, especially in Michigan. Along with being concerned about days when roads are actually snow or ice covered, there's added dirt, salt, debris, and potholes all over the roads during the winter. That stuff will effect every part of the car, not only the wheels. Second, putting snow tires on 19 inch wheels really sort of defeats the purpose. From experience again, I can honestly say that the same snow tire does not perform nearly as well in a 19 inch size than it will in a 18 or even 17. Bottom line, the Porsche wheels are just too wide for a snow tire application. Also, most snow tires with a low profile sidewall are not ideal as the don't allow the tire to flex enough. Sure you'll get by, but the added dangers of driving a $100k+ car in those conditions just doesn't seem worth it.

In all honesty, if I were you, I'd do what I did. Total the cost of buying spare wheels and then expensive snow or all season tires, and you'll find out that it's cheaper to buy a decent 4WD second car. In my case, I bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Ltd with low miles for around $5k. It was money VERY well spent. Maintenance costs have been low (I got lucky and got a good car) and the car looks decent, has nice leather interior so it isn't bad in case I need to take clients out or something in it. Best part about it....it handles snow, bad weather, and horrible roads LIKE A CHAMP!

Do your TT a favor....let it rest in the winter. You'll be glad you did in the spring when it look nice and fresh.

*edit:* I should add that although I live where it's summer year-round now...up until very recently I lived in the northeast where winters are just as brutal on cars as the midwest.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Teamspeed Member
InTheAir is an unknown quantity at this point
I appreciate the thoughts, Dubaudi.

However, I bought this car to drive it. I stored my low mileage 993 during the winters and it was painful to let it sit. I primped and preened it for Concours competitions. It was definitely a garage queen--only driven on nice days.

I want to drive this car. I want to drive it during the winter, during the rain, and let it get a bit dirty. I plan on keeping it a long time and intend to enjoy all of the driving smiles I can get.

Again, I appreciate the thoughts very much.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations on the TT!

I drove my 997TT all winter long in Chicago. This is what I did:

1. Used the stock 19" Turbo wheels for my winter set. I have the 19" Contiwintercontact 810S tires which have been outstanding in both cold, dry pavement, cold, wet pavement, moderate snow, and icy roads. I really have been pleasantly surprised by their performance in winter.

2. Purchased a set of 19" Champion RF67s for the summer set with the OEM tires.

I decided to get another set of the TPMS sensors for the summer wheels.

Gratuitous pic of my car:

With the winter wheels:

Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Teamspeed Member
InTheAir is an unknown quantity at this point
Me likes the pictures and wheels, Alin2.5.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
LuisR is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Congrats on the beautiful car.
You can always move to Miami and keep your stock wheels on year round. LOL