Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

New suspension mods from RSS for my 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Post New suspension mods from RSS for my 997TT

I made the mistake of driving a friend's 997.2 GT3 RS that had just gotten a number of modifications done to it.

In this case, I'm referring to these:

2 piece lower control arms for both front and rear

Adjustable rear link kit

Adjustable rear toe steer kit

And let me tell you guys, it was a revelation! I'd driven a number of other GT3/GT3RS before and it just does not compare to the way this example felt. The way it handled felt almost telepathic to the point where you literally could think where you'd want it to go. I was impressed and far from it for me to think that it'd be possible to make my Turbo handle exactly the same way but I knew I probably could get close. And so, I decided to order the same kit for mine. My Turbo was already in the shop because the front coilovers needed to be rebuilt for unrelated reasons so I figured I might as well get the new bits installed. I had them installed by the very capable techs from Motoring Unlimited whom also installed my tailights last year too.

The parts were all finally here so it was time to get them installed.

Wow, these rotors are HUGE!

Lower control arms

Specs

Installed in the rear

Afterwards, the Turbo was delivered to my home where I had a chance to try her out briefly because of rush hour traffic. A real drive would have to wait until a later date.

A few days later, I finally had a chance to truly put my Turbo through its paces on a 400 mile drive to Yakima for lunch with some friends.

Now that I've managed to soak it all in and think about my impressions since these new bits were installed, I can share them with you. First off, I can't stop raving about the change then and now because of these simple modifications. It really did go a long way in improving the overall feel/handling of my Turbo. I already had Bilstein damptronics, H&R sways and Tarret droplinks previously which definitely improved handling from stock form but these new RSS bits took it one step further. My car feels almost much more assured around the corners and the steering feel has especially been taken to a new level. I was also very impressed at how compliant this setup was. Not quite bone jarring but hardly Cadillac smooth either. It's close to how well the GT3 RS handles now. I can't wait to try it out at the track next month!

Last edited by atomic80; 08-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Great photos and write up Jason! Love your turbo and those parts are droolworthy

Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Still one of the best looking TT's out there!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Duff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enoughDuff0000 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DJ
Still one of the best looking TT's out there!

I could not agree more, Beautiful

Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
jason knows how to modify his cars, your 997tt is one of the nicest modified turbo's out there and the same goes for your scuderia.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
RSS makes great stuff, and with all your suspension mods your Turbo must feel amazing. My only complaint about Turbos has been their relative 'softness' compared to the other 911s... this takes care of it all!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
TT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura aboutTT Chris has a spectacular aura about
Jason those are awesome pics and thanks for the information.
Is there any more noise like clunking with these new installed parts? Did you purchase directly from RSS? I need to find some nice roads to drive on when I come down to Washington.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
jason knows how to modify his cars, your 997tt is one of the nicest modified turbo's out there and the same goes for your scuderia.
Thanks man! I always try to make my modifications as tasteful and functional as possible.

Originally Posted by gk@domanimotors
RSS makes great stuff, and with all your suspension mods your Turbo must feel amazing. My only complaint about Turbos has been their relative 'softness' compared to the other 911s... this takes care of it all!
That it does...there's no more "jiggling" that was so prevalent in the stock setup but then again the earlier suspension mods I did took care of that. This just finished it up.

Originally Posted by TT Chris
Jason those are awesome pics and thanks for the information.
Is there any more noise like clunking with these new installed parts? Did you purchase directly from RSS? I need to find some nice roads to drive on when I come down to Washington.
I was concerned about clunking noises because of no rubber bushings but so far, nothing. Be forewarned that because this is basically a "racing" setup, you've got to keep an eye on the shim nut in the lower control arms which could potentially come loose due to the vibration. I had my tech install locking washers and thread lock which should keep that in place. Yes, I bought them directly from Mike from RSS.

Last edited by atomic80; 08-03-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up and mods! Gorgeous car

Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 PM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write-up Jason. Enjoyed the pics as well. Your TT is really clean - just my style. Glad she drives to your liking.

Quick Reply: New suspension mods from RSS for my 997TT