Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

New suspension mods from RSS for my 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Was looking forward to this thread and you did not disappoint!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond reputeSVTxTERM1NATOR has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful turbo and nice write up!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Teamspeed Member
brim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of lightbrim is a glorious beacon of light
Jason, I'm glad you like the RSS gear. I can't agree more on the telepathic statement. With this setup, the car is literally hooked up as best it can be foe road and track.

I recently got some good track days in and the setup is amazing! Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
I am not impressed....

Looking forward to see what kind of time shaving this mod will have... thanks for the write up and sexy piXXX

Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up! Made me think about these mods, was it Realy that good in the rs?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!RSSmike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by atomic80
I made the mistake of driving a friend's 997.2 GT3 RS that had just gotten a number of modifications done to it.

In this case, I'm referring to these:

2 piece lower control arms for both front and rear

Adjustable rear link kit

Adjustable rear toe steer kit

And let me tell you guys, it was a revelation! I'd driven a number of other GT3/GT3RS before and it just does not compare to the way this example felt. The way it handled felt almost telepathic to the point where you literally could think where you'd want it to go. I was impressed and far from it for me to think that it'd be possible to make my Turbo handle exactly the same way but I knew I probably could get close. And so, I decided to order the same kit for mine. My Turbo was already in the shop because the front coilovers needed to be rebuilt for unrelated reasons so I figured I might as well get the new bits installed. I had them installed by the very capable techs from Motoring Unlimited whom also installed my tailights last year too.

The parts were all finally here so it was time to get them installed.

Wow, these rotors are HUGE!

Lower control arms

Specs

Installed in the rear

Afterwards, the Turbo was delivered to my home where I had a chance to try her out briefly because of rush hour traffic. A real drive would have to wait until a later date.

A few days later, I finally had a chance to truly put my Turbo through its paces on a 400 mile drive to Yakima for lunch with some friends.

Now that I've managed to soak it all in and think about my impressions since these new bits were installed, I can share them with you. First off, I can't stop raving about the change then and now because of these simple modifications. It really did go a long way in improving the overall feel/handling of my Turbo. I already had Bilstein damptronics, H&R sways and Tarret droplinks previously which definitely improved handling from stock form but these new RSS bits took it one step further. My car feels almost much more assured around the corners and the steering feel has especially been taken to a new level. I was also very impressed at how compliant this setup was. Not quite bone jarring but hardly Cadillac smooth either. It's close to how well the GT3 RS handles now. I can't wait to try it out at the track next month!
Thanks for the kind words Jason, enjoy the new suspension setup...Looking forward to your track day report!

-mike

Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting thanks for sharing Jason.

Only difference to mine now I believe is the lower control arms which allow you to dial in/out negative camber ie. shouldn't make much difference on public roads but will on the track (especially at the front where it's hard to get more than a degree of neg camber without this part). I wouldn't want to run huge cambers though on public streets, not great in the winter or on rough terrain or for tyre wear. Hence why I haven't fitted those (yet).

Oh and I don't think you have upgraded dog-bones which also help improve handling and feedback?!

Do you know your new camber/toe settings?

PS: drives me mad on forums where someone does a huge post (which is good) and then someone quotes the entire thing again (which is bad) ^^^

Last edited by Alex_997TurboRSC; 08-05-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^Alex, it's been a while..good to see you posting around here still.

My goal or rather Brian and RSS' goal was to eliminate the rubber bushings in the stock setup which goes quite a ways in providing that "direct" feel. As you can see above, I believe that I did get the dogbones but in my case it's called the rear link and toe steer kits.

I guess you have to go with a certain amount of compromise when it comes to increased tire wear vs improved handling/steering feel. In my case, I went with the GT3 suspension specs which I've been using for a while now. I'm satisfied with this setup. Brian has a much more aggressive setup which definitely causes a much greater degree of tire wear.

What suspension specs did you go with, Alex?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Jason, in case I missed it-did you replace your PCCB's? With what brand? Also, in terms of $$ can you tell us how much was spent, in total just in suspension?

I think this is an important lesson for those who already have these cars and get bored. It can cost much much less to invest in some new shiny kit for your existing car- and make her NEW, and fall in love, -all over again.

it's amazing how just a little bit here or there can alter the personality of a car.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
What was it, Chris...is that your name? I can't recall..sorry.

I didn't replace my PCCBs like Brian did because I don't plan to track my Turbo on an extended basis like he does. They just took it out to put the suspension components in.

So, I'm not sure exactly how much I spent altogether because all together I put in:

Bilstein damptronic coilovers
H&R sways (front & rear)
Tarrett droplinks (front & rear)
RSS lower control arms (front & rear)
RSS rear drop link kit
RSS rear toe steer kit

If I had to venture a guess, including labor, I'd say that I spent maybe about $10k USD for the whole thing. Like you said, way cheaper than buying a whole new car and the differences between stock and now is like night and day.

Quick Reply: New suspension mods from RSS for my 997TT