Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Ruf 550

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bumperpip
Many years ago, Eloise Ruf was the hot ticket. Many years ago. Ruf, in my opinion, and meaning no disrespect, has clearly been surpassed by many reputable U.S. and European firms. As a glaring example, the practice of soldering a piggy-back chip onto an ECU is just stone age these days, and, frankly, indefensible.

Ruf has always had (and still does) a well-deserved reputation for quality work, and eye-popping prices. First-rate work can now be had from Champion, A.W.E., EVO, Protomotive, Sharkwerks, GMG, and a few others. All of these people are upfront, trustworthy, and understand how small the Porsche Turbo market is. All priced far lower than Ruf, you get more, and better, from any of them. Time marches on.

Well said. Today's tuners are at the top of their game and enthusiast driven.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I would go for Switzer, they have some nice kits for the 911 Turbo.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
If u have money to blow, Ruf...and even then...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
pinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to all
In my short experience with tuners, it seems to be "best" if your tuner is within driving range. As with most tuned cars, things break or need adjustments. It is a pain having to deal with transport time, and time at the shop, when one can be enjoying the fruits of you labor on the roads, where you've always wanted to be. Value and price are all subject to what the buyer want to pay and what the seller wants to get out of it. Unfortunately, the inherent value of a ruf tune is "strictly" subjective and what the buyer is willing to pay. In this current environment, it would be hard to sell a tuned porsche for the price of a low mile 997 gt2, with an extended warranty and the reliability of a stock porsche. Enjoy your car!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
I really appreciate all the responses. I'll have to figure out who else is near me (WV) and what kind of support they will provide.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Hugo is the man to talk to for sure as he has owned numerous Ruf vehicles. I do have a good friend that owns many of the vehicles Hugo owns so I can share driving impressions etc. While I don't have hours of seat time like Hugo I do have a couple of hours in an RT12, RTurbo 590, RGT, and CTR2. Whilst all these cars make great power with exceptional drivability I still feel that if you are modding a regular Turbo and not starting with a Ruf VIN car your money will be much better spent with someone like Switzer who is relatively close to you ...... in Ohio. Their product is phenomenal and their customer service is top notch as well. I am one of the biggest Ruf fanboi's around as they make a truly special car. However, unless I was getting a RUF VIN car I'd go with a different vendor this way around.

Have a great weekend.

Ben.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Teamspeed Member
speedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nice
Originally Posted by bmoores
. . .
Can you please exaplain the difference between a RUF-vin and RUF-tuned Porsche-vin?

TIA

Old 08-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
Ruf Vin are cars that are delivered to Ruf as incomplete shells, that Ruf manufacturers and have a VIN identifying Ruf as the manufacturer. Complete customization here. Your choice wide body or narrow, etc.

Ruf tuned is just as it sounds.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
I would go with Ruf again in a heartbeat...incredibly strong upgrades, fantastic customer support and true enthusiasts at heart.

Ruf understate their numbers...550hp is closer to 600hp. My Ruf 550 pulled incessantly and was stomach churning fast...the torque curve is flat from 2500rm to 5500 rpm= leaving your guts back there.

Are they more expensive than some of the newer competitors ? Probably, but you get what you pay for imo.

If I decide to upgrade a 911 in the future, it would be with Ruf.

Pretty welds are overrated...you should see the ones on an F40 !

Old 08-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
speedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nice
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Ruf Vin are cars that are delivered to Ruf as incomplete shells, that Ruf manufacturers and have a VIN identifying Ruf as the manufacturer. Complete customization here. Your choice wide body or narrow, etc.

Ruf tuned is just as it sounds.
Thank you for the clarification