Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Ruf 550

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Personally I would go with Ruf.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
why?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
why?
Because they are the only tuner around that you will get the majority of your money back when you sell.

It's a RUF

Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joshg120
i'd have to agree, the 15k for 80 hp is to be completely honest absolutely ridiculous, im almost positive with a ecu flash and an exhaust you could be up around 80-100 for maybe 3-4 k i just don't think the additional RUF upgrades add up to anything near the pricetag, and a 2 year warranty isn't really a selling point imo
Ruf's warranty on conversions is one year, not two.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hugo
I think h meant his daughter Aloisa

Ruf is a hotter ticket today than he has ever been,developing and producing stuff even Porsche(let alone other tuners) has not managed to do yet,see the new 8 cylinder engine for the 911...

As far as i know most 911 turbos through Ruf are either converted to or VIN cars Rt12s,not 550s which are not sexy enough for the obvious previously mentioned reasons
Hugo, you have had the rare benefit to be the owner of multiple Ruf VIN'd vehicles. While I agree with your first statement, I do believe there is an enormous difference between a conversion and a VIN'd car.

Ruf may have been the top tuner and innovator of old, but in the current market, they have fallen from the top of the food chain when it comes to tuning. They offer a complete product that no other manufacturer can offer beyond Porsche, but their focus has changed from tuning Porsches to manufacturing Rufs.

With the technology available to end users today, more and more customers want their tuner to fine tune their programming based on AFR, timing, etc. They demand fuel specific tuning. They expect datalog analysis, options to upgrade components independently. Ruf offers none of this (at least to the US market.) They offer 1 size fits all packages with no room to grow. A 600 hp setup with modified VTGs costs a whopping $49K US. And there is NO upgrade path for those who already have the 550 package despite the redundancy in the exhaust, clutch, and pressure plate. They still solder their bypass chips when 99% of the market has the ability to flash.

Ruf, unfortunately, has fallen behind in the Porsche tuning market. As a manufacturer, they are a unique entity with both heritage and innovation. As a tuner, they seem to ride on past laurels.

Last edited by bbywu; 08-27-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Christian
Because they are the only tuner around that you will get the majority of your money back when you sell.

It's a RUF
Some should probably ask me how much I got back in my tuning costs with Ruf. 550 tune, wheels, suspension coil overs, carbon RT12 wing.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by yzracer931
What is the cost effectiveness of swapping to a v8 when a tuner like EVOMS can make 1200 hp out of the 6 cylinder. Yes the vehicle will be unique but it is almost pointless. You can more than likely get the same performance from EVOMS around the same price if not cheaper than the v8 swap.
Two completely different purpose built engines. Just because one engine produces more power doesn't make it superior.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
why?
I loved my conversion. I am happy it has a new owner. It was truly unique driving experience. But at a cost of $16K for the conversion, ask yourself if these welds are up to par.

Last edited by bbywu; 08-27-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
not the prettiest

Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
Do you really believe intercoolers will provide you with 92 hp?

Absolutely not. Rather, if you are doing bolt-ons, there are several components that people overlook. Intercoolers being one of the puzzle pieces to maximize potential before going FI or internals.