Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Storage / Non Use

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 04:34 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Good call on the exhaust tips as well.

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:03 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bonehead
Venting the battery is free. Look it up....On second though...Do me a favor and don't do it. I'll get a good laugh when your battery blows up.
Fuel stabilizer is a few bucks. Cheap preventative measure. How did you save 2K on storage by not doing these things?
If my battery blew up I would just buy a new one and sue someone.
My Pcar mechanics said no stabilizer, keep it full of gas.

I saved 2k by pretending the car didn't exist and not modding it over the winter! Anything you buy for storage is expensive and useless if you keep a clean garage. I have no rats, mice, roaches or little people messing with it.

I check on it once a month and low and behold it is still there

flat spot stopper $259.00 on Griots or rolling lifts 300.00
random covers 90.00
digital inflating tire gun 50.00
2 lbs of stink be gone 40.00
Pcar battery charger 250.00

Portable air compressor 500.00
couplers and hose 100.00

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:07 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
Ahhh, it's good to see JZ997TT back and about... According to Porsche - inflate the tires an additional 5 to 8 PSI, fill the tank, and hook up a battery maintainer. Porsche sells one what you just plug into the lighter. I recommend some silica packs for moisture. If it is an area with possible rodents/mice put some moth balls on the floor in a open container. Fuel stabilizer is not necessary.

Air is 78.1% nitrogen to begin with so the pro's are at the most minor. Good way for tire retailers to make a few extra bucks though.

The vent is in order to discharge the explosive gas that is discharged as the lead plates and the electolites inside the battery provide the chemical reaction that provides the stored energy to run the vehicle.
Mucho Gracias

I'll look up the vent this year before I drive it, nothing happened last year I swear

Old 02-15-2010 | 10:11 PM
|
Teamspeed Junior Member
JohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enough
Thanks for all the tips!
I'll hook it up to a battery maintainer. Keeping the tank full, yeah why not. And I'll add some air. Car is inside (duh!) in it's own garage and it's very dry here so I'm not too worried about mold.

Old 02-15-2010 | 10:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JohnUSA
Thanks for all the tips!
I'll hook it up to a battery maintainer. Keeping the tank full, yeah why not. And I'll add some air. Car is inside (duh!) in it's own garage and it's very dry here so I'm not too worried about mold.
The car won't mold.

But the rodent issue is real.

They can take refuge in the underside of the car and chew your electrical wires.

Be sure the area is rodent free.

Last edited by Barrister; 02-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2010 | 10:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
They can take refuge in the underside of the car and chew your electrical wires.
True that, we had a car catch fire next to our garage when I was a kid because squirrels chewed the wires... Thank God our neighbor saw it early and my dad extinguished it right away.

Last edited by Barrister; 02-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.