Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   991 | 997 | 996 Turbo (https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997-996-turbo/)
-   -   Storage / Non Use (https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997-996-turbo/36882-storage-non-use.html)

JohnUSA 02-15-2010 11:32 AM

Storage / Non Use

Excuse me if this is in the wrong place, but this is my question:
I have a 997TT that I drive regularly. But now, some business trips are coming up that can take 1-3 months. How do I take care of my car? The manual says to over-inflate the tires and disconnect the battery. Is this a good idea? What about hooking it up to a battery (trickle?) charger? How do others do it with lots of cars?

Barrister 02-15-2010 11:35 AM

I recommend putting a trickle charger on it.

Mine sat for about 6 months while I was in the hospital and recovering from a motorcycle accident. I had my mechanic put a trickle charger on it and it started up the first time I tried.

I just left my tires alone. They got low, but I just put some air in them. Didn't know any better I guess.

Car runs great now.

"The JC" 02-15-2010 12:11 PM

Definitely do a trickle charger!! I didn't do that with a 996TT that lives at my parents house. One month will no action meant a dead battery that was a huge PITA to replace and get the car going again.

Shadow 02-15-2010 12:24 PM

+2 on the Trickle charger...you really dont want to replace that battery :lol: as far as the tires, 1-3 months shouldn't be too time past to worry about damage, just put air back in the tires efore you drive off and you should be set.

bonehead 02-15-2010 01:05 PM

Tire cradles/overinflate tires to prevent flat spotting, fuel stabilizer, trickle charger. Make sure to vent that battery before you start it up again!

tractorcrusher 02-15-2010 01:49 PM

What about filling your tires with nitrogen before it sits?

JZ997tt 02-15-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 526134)
Tire cradles/overinflate tires to prevent flat spotting, fuel stabilizer, trickle charger. Make sure to vent that battery before you start it up again!

wtf is venting the battery?
Why would you need fuel stabilizer, just fill it up and leave it alone.
Watch the tires, if they get low, fill them up. I just saved 2k on my car storage :)
Trickle chargers are cheap and work well. My car sits all winter.

bonehead 02-15-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by JZ997tt (Post 526207)
wtf is venting the battery?
Why would you need fuel stabilizer, just fill it up and leave it alone.
Watch the tires, if they get low, fill them up. I just saved 2k on my car storage :)
Trickle chargers are cheap and work well. My car sits all winter.

Venting the battery is free. Look it up....On second though...Do me a favor and don't do it. I'll get a good laugh when your battery blows up.
Fuel stabilizer is a few bucks. Cheap preventative measure. How did you save 2K on storage by not doing these things?

Brobbins016 02-15-2010 02:52 PM

Ahhh, it's good to see JZ997TT back and about... According to Porsche - inflate the tires an additional 5 to 8 PSI, fill the tank, and hook up a battery maintainer. Porsche sells one what you just plug into the lighter. I recommend some silica packs for moisture. If it is an area with possible rodents/mice put some moth balls on the floor in a open container. Fuel stabilizer is not necessary.

Air is 78.1% nitrogen to begin with so the pro's are at the most minor. Good way for tire retailers to make a few extra bucks though.

The vent is in order to discharge the explosive gas that is discharged as the lead plates and the electolites inside the battery provide the chemical reaction that provides the stored energy to run the vehicle.

TeutonicCarFan 02-15-2010 03:10 PM

I was going to say you may want to plug your exhaust tips so rodents don't get in there?