Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Storage / Non Use

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enoughJohnUSA will become famous soon enough
Storage / Non Use

Excuse me if this is in the wrong place, but this is my question:
I have a 997TT that I drive regularly. But now, some business trips are coming up that can take 1-3 months. How do I take care of my car? The manual says to over-inflate the tires and disconnect the battery. Is this a good idea? What about hooking it up to a battery (trickle?) charger? How do others do it with lots of cars?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I recommend putting a trickle charger on it.

Mine sat for about 6 months while I was in the hospital and recovering from a motorcycle accident. I had my mechanic put a trickle charger on it and it started up the first time I tried.

I just left my tires alone. They got low, but I just put some air in them. Didn't know any better I guess.

Car runs great now.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely do a trickle charger!! I didn't do that with a 996TT that lives at my parents house. One month will no action meant a dead battery that was a huge PITA to replace and get the car going again.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
+2 on the Trickle charger...you really dont want to replace that battery as far as the tires, 1-3 months shouldn't be too time past to worry about damage, just put air back in the tires efore you drive off and you should be set.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Tire cradles/overinflate tires to prevent flat spotting, fuel stabilizer, trickle charger. Make sure to vent that battery before you start it up again!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
What about filling your tires with nitrogen before it sits?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
JZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished roadJZ997tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bonehead
Tire cradles/overinflate tires to prevent flat spotting, fuel stabilizer, trickle charger. Make sure to vent that battery before you start it up again!
wtf is venting the battery?
Why would you need fuel stabilizer, just fill it up and leave it alone.
Watch the tires, if they get low, fill them up. I just saved 2k on my car storage
Trickle chargers are cheap and work well. My car sits all winter.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JZ997tt
wtf is venting the battery?
Why would you need fuel stabilizer, just fill it up and leave it alone.
Watch the tires, if they get low, fill them up. I just saved 2k on my car storage
Trickle chargers are cheap and work well. My car sits all winter.
Venting the battery is free. Look it up....On second though...Do me a favor and don't do it. I'll get a good laugh when your battery blows up.
Fuel stabilizer is a few bucks. Cheap preventative measure. How did you save 2K on storage by not doing these things?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Ahhh, it's good to see JZ997TT back and about... According to Porsche - inflate the tires an additional 5 to 8 PSI, fill the tank, and hook up a battery maintainer. Porsche sells one what you just plug into the lighter. I recommend some silica packs for moisture. If it is an area with possible rodents/mice put some moth balls on the floor in a open container. Fuel stabilizer is not necessary.

Air is 78.1% nitrogen to begin with so the pro's are at the most minor. Good way for tire retailers to make a few extra bucks though.

The vent is in order to discharge the explosive gas that is discharged as the lead plates and the electolites inside the battery provide the chemical reaction that provides the stored energy to run the vehicle.

Last edited by Brobbins016; 02-15-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
I was going to say you may want to plug your exhaust tips so rodents don't get in there?

Quick Reply: Storage / Non Use