Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

HELP: Advice for Trailering my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
HELP: Advice for Trailering my 996 Turbo

Hey guys I am wondering if any one has any advice for trailering a 996 Turbo. It's going to live at my parents house for a month and I don't want to put the miles on it by driving it up there (while a top sppped run on I-10 at 4am is very tempting). I’ll be trailering the 996TT from my home in Houston, TX to Santa Fe, NM and I'm just wondering if there are any tips as to where I should connect tie downs to the vehicle. As of right now I’m renting a Uhaul trailer and will be using my Dad’s Denali to do the towing.

Of course for this type of technical advice I have posted on a number of forums, but any help would be appreciated, JC.

Last edited by "The JC"; 07-30-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
it's funny because I thought the thread read tailoring your turbo and had a whole list of items i was about to post before i re-read the question!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Are you getting the full length car trailer (not a tow dolly)? If so, the front wheels will actually have a web that goes over the tire (back to front) and is ratcheted down. I don't think the rears have this, but there will be chains front and rear as backups.

Be VERY CAREFUL with these trailers though. The ramps are at a steep angle so if your car is low, could be an issue. I would make sure to have some 2x6 (or wider) boards handy to lessen that angle.

After you load, be VERY careful getting out of the car too. The car door will be right inside the fenders for the trailer wheels. You may even have to climb out of the window.

They aren't designed very well if you can't tell by my description LOL.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
No tow dolly. In fact when I called UHaul today some dumba$$ woman said the dolly would work great. Amazing that she thought it would be cool to drag my exhaust and ruin the AWD all the way to New Mexico.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
No tow dolly. In fact when I called UHaul today some dumba$$ woman said the dolly would work great. Amazing that she thought it would be cool to drag my exhaust and ruin the AWD all the way to New Mexico.
Right. Just to be clear, my comments above are for the full trailer, not the tow dolly.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^I know, thanks for the input. I'd rep you but got to spread some.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
are you kidding me?!?!?

the highway between San Antonio and Sante Fe is *PRIME* turbo roadway. outside of montana/wyoming, i can't imagine there's a better stretch of road for fun.

drive it - that's why you bought it!

- chuck

Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Get some of the thick yellow ratcheting straps and just strap through the front wheels pulling it forward and the rears through the rear wheels pulling them back, so the straps are pulling oppesite ways. then just put it in gear and ebrake it for good measure and it won't go anywhere

Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
JC,

What are you thinking bud? Drive the thing, you'll have a blast!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^The co-owner (my Dad) is b!tching about putting too many miles on the car and since I'm trying to get him to buy out my share I'll tow it too make him happy. I definitely wanted to drive it, I got my M3 to 170mph on that road last summer (so much for that 155mph limiter). In my mind getting it to Santa Fe is one step closer to this

Attached Images