Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Oakley Design Sequential

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
So, we have a system to electromechanically shift the gear lever.

Here's what we need next:

1) A system to electromechanically work the clutch. Ideally, it would overlay the factory clutch, so you could use your left foot at low speeds (or hard launches where you want to modulate clutch effort manually), but thereafter not worry about the clutch at all. I think this is how it's implemented in the Caparo T1. It would be nice to make the 0-1 shift programmable (i.e. manual clutch or electromechanical clutch).

2) A system to provide additional input to the throttle.

3) A brain to hook them up.

4) Shift paddles on the steering wheel to actuate the system. Key the shift speed to how quickly you pull on the paddle.

Done right, this could work as an aftermarket 'convert-to-sequential' retrofit solution without the drawbacks of BMW's SMG. It may be possible to do this without cracking the ECU, as you'd just be adding a separate system to electrically control the mechanical components that a human user would be doing anyway. The ECU need never know that it's an actuator, rather than a foot on a pedal.

Once the technology is figured out, a system could be designed for any manual car. Never mind a 911 or Ferrari with paddles, how about a 944, or a Subari STi, or a 350Z?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
N2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond repute
Hugo,

The interior in your past Rt12 was amazing as well! Thnaks for the pics.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
N2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac

1) A system to electromechanically work the clutch. Ideally, it would overlay the factory clutch, so you could use your left foot at low speeds (or hard launches where you want to modulate clutch effort manually), but thereafter not worry about the clutch at all. I think this is how it's implemented in the Caparo T1. It would be nice to make the 0-1 shift programmable (i.e. manual clutch or electromechanical clutch).

4) Shift paddles on the steering wheel to actuate the system. Key the shift speed to how quickly you pull on the paddle.

Done right, this could work as an aftermarket 'convert-to-sequential' retrofit solution without the drawbacks of BMW's SMG. It may be possible to do this without cracking the ECU, as you'd just be adding a separate system to electrically control the mechanical components that a human user would be doing anyway. The ECU need never know that it's an actuator, rather than a foot on a pedal.

Once the technology is figured out, a system could be designed for any manual car. Never mind a 911 or Ferrari with paddles, how about a 944, or a Subari STi, or a 350Z?

Wow-you have it all figured out. That is some brain-strorming there!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Yeah, but aside from #4, all of the above are exceedingly difficult as to make it virtually impossible. It's a pipe dream.

And yes of course the Oakley unit works for the TT - I spoke with Michael at Oulton Park last year and he confirmed it to me.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac

PMac, are you working on this system right now? If so, let me know. I'd be very interested in lending a hand.

Originally Posted by jimmer23
Yeah, but aside from #4, all of the above are exceedingly difficult as to make it virtually impossible. It's a pipe dream.
I don't see why it has to be a pipe dream at all.#1 is most definitely doable. Would it be cheap? No. But it most certainly can be done. If enough units are made, it wouldn't even have to be astronomically expensive for consumers. The brain to hook them up would just be a software issue. Not difficult at all, really. While I might not quite have the programming expertise to make the "brain" myself, I know plenty of people who could do so. The only thing I don't quite understand is the reason for #2.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!jimmer23 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
You're kidding right? How much $$$ and development time do you think it took say Ferrari to develop their F1 paddle-shift? You're insane to think that anyone could devise a system that works even in the roughest sense of the term for a variety of cars.

First of all, the actual ECU programming and tranny are completely different to be able to handle that kind of thiing. They are closer to autos than a manual box (i.e. having 2 or 3 syncros already pre-staged for a shift at any one point in time).

Something like this based on a manual box would inevitably shift slowly and roughly upwards, and I would hate to think of hill starts or downshifts. Simply can't be done -just think of all of the intracacies that go into your clutch use on a day-to-day basis. Slip here, hold there, blip there, etc etc.