Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Full Circle, not keeping the GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Full Circle, not keeping the GT2

So, I took at bath and got rid of my 996 Turbo early, becauses the AWD and more importantly, the PSM was just not doing it for me.

I got the 996 GT2 and have had a very happy 2.5 years of ownership. No PSM, RWD only, and when you setup the line correctly and get on the throttle in a nice high speed turn, there is nothing better. No Front engined RWD cars can match the experience of slingshooting out of a turn with your foot on the throttle knowing that you have tamed the sledgehammer instead of wiping out into the weeds because you lifted.

Now that I only have 6 months left on the GT2, the original plan was to buy it, but now, with the addition of a kid, I need a car with useful backseat area, which the 996 Turbo does have.

And yes, I have tested the space with some car seats and booster seats, and they fit fine.

And yes, fitting the rear seats parts into the GT2 is doable, as all mounting points are there (I researched it).

The problem is a legal one. Since the GT2 is certified with the government as a 2 seater, adding the parts and turning it into a four seater carries a big unknown should something happens and you are involved in anyway legally. The mrs is an attorney and nixed the idea pretty quick once her head gets turning on the whole potential liability issues.

When I had the 996 Turbo, I looked into getting it converted to RWD (which can be done) properly without PSM (which at the time could not be done, or no one I called would do it).

So, it has been 2.5 years since I last looked into it. Has any legit vendor come up with a solution to properly convert the 996 Turbo to RWD without throwing any fault code?

To go one step further, has any legit venfor come up with a solution that properly converts the 996 Turbo to RWD with defeatable PSM where when PSM is off, it stays off? As you know, if you get on the brakes to setup for a turn, and the track surface traction was somehow different (e.g. one wheel touched the berm at the entry, and the berm was just slightly less grippy than the track surface), PSM comes back on the save you when no saving was needed.

So to recap, are the following options available?

1. Proper 996 Turbo RWD conversion with some ECU reprogramming so PSM doesn't throw lots of fault code on or off.

2. Proper RWD conversion with completely defeatable PSM and no fault code of any kind.

3. Proper RWD conversion with no PSM, closest to the GT2 driving experience.

Oh, and of course, if I do go ahead with the project, the first thing to go is the soft as butter clutch of the 996 Turbo. I love the stiff and grabby 996 GT2 clutch.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

And yes, I do hear the "we should have kept the Turbo" comment every time I bring this up.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that's a tough decision. Many people have put a seat in the back of a GT2/GT3 with no physical problem but I can see the legal issues. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
wish I could help you with some advice but I've got none... I hope you end up finding your preferred set up either buy finding a legal loop hole for the GT2 or finding a turbo and a vendor that will do the job perfectly... keep us posted

Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
If I were you, it would be very very tough to get rid of the GT2

Old 12-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
If I were you, it would be very very tough to get rid of the GT2
It is tough.

But when there is a third person, and you have a two seater, the two seater gets unused too often to my liking.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:55 PM
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
It is tough.

But when there is a third person, and you have a two seater, the two seater gets unused too often to my liking.
Thats true, family always comes first. Goodluck with whatever you do.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
A few pictures of the GT2...

That was a good trip. Two days at Sears Point, two days driving around Nappa doing wine tasting.

Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 AM
I love your 996 GT2!! ^^

Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
D2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura aboutD2AUTO has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stuka
It is tough.

First off congrats and God Bless on the birth of your first child! They are truly the hi-spot of your entire life! (well at least when they are young and cute and cuddlely like my kids are, lol)

Its so funny you make that comment, as I'm in this EXACT predicament right now. My kids are 1, and 2 respectively (YES, same mother, and YES I have learned to keep my hands to myself!).

We have a MB R-class, the VIPER and a couple daily beaters (08 Escape's). My problem is, I NEVER drive the VIPER. Either the weather is not good, or I have one of the kids, or we are going out as a family. Other than that, work keeps me insanely busy.

I hate to pay for car that literally sits for about 85-90% of the month.

I've been contemplating selling it and getting a nice luxobarge or something just so I can have a car I enjoy and can carry the 2 carseats, strollers, yadda yadda.

As far as your dilemna goes, the kiddy peripherals will NOT work with a 996. Its not just the baby seat, its the stroller, baby bag, toys, rear facing mirror, etc etc, and you just will NOT enjoy that.

I'd say save the Avant for baby duty and the 996 for fun. See if you actually can still use it. If not maybe go for something like a M6, etc for larger car thats still fun.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond repute
How could you get rid of that thing...

Keep it, and put the kid in the E30!

Quick Reply: Full Circle, not keeping the GT2