Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Full Circle, not keeping the GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
you can haul plenty of kid stuff in a 996, the right stroller will fold up right behind the rear seat.
Yep, I tried all that, you can actually get a lot of stuff in there.

We only have one kid, so it's no problem. And when we go out, we don't have a million kid things in the stroller, just a diaper bag with all the required stuff, and a stroller, that's it.

We were just saying that he is going to be very sad when he is older and realized that we had a GT2 that he never got to ride in it.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dave S
Keep the gt2 and get a second car? M5? 996 c2, 997 c2? Yugo?
We have an S4 Avant. It's a quick car, but it is not what either me or my wife are used to in terms of speed.

When the GT2 goes, I will be driving my E30 everyday until we figure something out.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
...and the Turbo is certified with the government as an AWD car. You're opening yourself up to a similar can of worms by going the RWD turbo route.

As a matter of fact, because of Porsche's legal problems in the '80s with the RWD 930 Turbo being "undriveable" according to a woman who got in an accident and killed her passenger, coupled with the fact that Porsche loves to tout the safety and security of AWD in the Turbo, I would say the liability you're subjecting yourself to is much greater with a RWD turbo than a GT2 with backseats.
That is a good point.

Maybe 964 Turbo is the answer?

I do need to go drive a 997 Turbo with PSM off when the time comes though.

It will most certainly be very exciting with it's primitive Turbo setup and its lack of electronics. Only problem is I am not too hot on the older 911's and the way the pedals are hinged.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by Igor
def. look into the M series, but keep the GT2, the 996 RWD thing sounds like alot of money and PIA! and congrats on the kid.
I had three M3's before I got the Turbo, then the GT2, and then Savage BMW got their hands on mine...

BMWNA couldn't care less, and Savage had to be pursuaded to do the right thing with an attorney.

So I think I am done with new BMW's for a while.

Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
...and the Turbo is certified with the government as an AWD car. You're opening yourself up to a similar can of worms by going the RWD turbo route.

As a matter of fact, because of Porsche's legal problems in the '80s with the RWD 930 Turbo being "undriveable" according to a woman who got in an accident and killed her passenger, coupled with the fact that Porsche loves to tout the safety and security of AWD in the Turbo, I would say the liability you're subjecting yourself to is much greater with a RWD turbo than a GT2 with backseats.
Agreed!!

Do not get rid of the GT2, keep it and just save it for yourself on those fun days..

Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by h-bo
it seems like you absolutely completely love your gt2 and buying a tt and making it like a gt2 will never work.

Imagine going out with a supermodel (or maybe you don't have to imagine, i hope so for you), dumping her because she is too impractical and saying that you can merely get a civilian to wear high heels and get fake breasts and a blond wig... every time you look at that aboration you will miss your old girl friend. either dump her or keep her... don't try to do both.

I think you guys are right.

When the time comes I am going to try to drive a 964 Turbo and a 997 Turbo with PSM off.

It's not about having another car, we have the S4 Avant. What really annoys me is that I want to drive the GT2 on the weekends when we do family things, because me and the mrs used to drive the GT2 everywhere, yes, even Costco (but in the OC only since parking is really nice there) but I just can't now. So it sits parked on the weekend, which drives me crazy.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by iLLGT2
Agreed!!

Do not get rid of the GT2, keep it and just save it for yourself on those fun days..
Fun days are now only going to and back from work by myself.

On a nice sunny weekend days, I want to take a drive down with the mrs and our kid to Santa Barbara in the GT2, and I can't.

This is really the issue.

Yours is a Turbo modded right? Is it still AWD?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka

I think you guys are right.

When the time comes I am going to try to drive a 964 Turbo and a 997 Turbo with PSM off.

It's not about having another car, we have the S4 Avant. What really annoys me is that I want to drive the GT2 on the weekends when we do family things, because me and the mrs used to drive the GT2 everywhere, yes, even Costco (but in the OC only since parking is really nice there) but I just can't now. So it sits parked on the weekend, which drives me crazy.
I see, I see... Rig up rear seats and be content then, there will be no liability issue as the mounting points, etc are all the same as the 996TT or any 996 with rear seats. It will not cost too much, and solve all of your problems.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by stuka
Fun days are now only going to and back from work by myself.

On a nice sunny weekend days, I want to take a drive down with the mrs and our kid to Santa Barbara in the GT2, and I can't.

This is really the issue.

Yours is a Turbo modded right? Is it still AWD?
I have a RUF R-GT2 (An actual GT2).. I use to have a modded turbo converted fully to RWD, the car felt nothing and I mean nothing like a GT2, why I had to mod it top to bottom to even have any ounce of fun in it coming from a lively supercharged M3... Even with full suspension work, RWD (no LSD though) I just still didn't like it!

GT2 is one of a kind, you know what you have

Old 12-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by iLLGT2
I have a RUF R-GT2 (An actual GT2).. I use to have a modded turbo converted fully to RWD, the car felt nothing and I mean nothing like a GT2, why I had to mod it top to bottom to even have any ounce of fun in it coming from a lively supercharged M3... Even with full suspension work, RWD (no LSD though) I just still didn't like it!

GT2 is one of a kind, you know what you have
Yeah, they are. And they are the steal of the century right now.

I mean, WTF 85K for a 996 GT2 with 25K miles?

Mine is probably worthless when I turned it in, since it will have 45K miles.

So, this rigging the rear seats thing might still happen, just to a 996 GT2 with less miles and regular seats.

Quick Reply: Full Circle, not keeping the GT2