Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Full Circle, not keeping the GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
Yeah, they are. And they are the steal of the century right now.

I mean, WTF 85K for a 996 GT2 with 25K miles?

Mine is probably worthless when I turned it in, since it will have 45K miles.

So, this rigging the rear seats thing might still happen, just to a 996 GT2 with less miles and regular seats.
Great value indeed, but don't let the market fool you, some cheap cars are prior history cars that have been for sale recently, and with the economy it's just a double negative for cars in general , let alone the GT2.

At auction they are still in the 80's low to upper surprisingly, depending on the year and miles which is obvious.

Rig up the rear seats! Keep your drivers side gt3 seat in , and put stock seat on passenger side!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iLLGT2
Great value indeed, but don't let the market fool you, some cheap cars are prior history cars that have been for sale recently, and with the economy it's just a double negative for cars in general , let alone the GT2.

At auction they are still in the 80's low to upper surprisingly, depending on the year and miles which is obvious.

Rig up the rear seats! Keep your drivers side gt3 seat in , and put stock seat on passenger side!
That sounds like a plan.

I had my dealer friend run some Manheims and the numbers were totally depressing, at like 65K! But he doesn't know the difference between GT2 and Turbo, though the cut and paste was directly from manheim site.

I am pretty sure at 45K miles, mine will be worthless at auctions, considering the buyout is 86K at lease end, but I did get a good lease deal.

If I get one again, I will probably drive it less, since we do have an S4 Avant, and use it for nice trips to San Diego, Santa Barabra, etc.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
iLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond reputeiLLGT2 has a reputation beyond repute
That sounds like a plan.

I had my dealer friend run some Manheims and the numbers were totally depressing, at like 65K! But he doesn't know the difference between GT2 and Turbo, though the cut and paste was directly from manheim site.

I am pretty sure at 45K miles, mine will be worthless at auctions, considering the buyout is 86K at lease end, but I did get a good lease deal.

If I get one again, I will probably drive it less, since we do have an S4 Avant, and use it for nice trips to San Diego, Santa Barabra, etc.
Member and friend Slavik on here goes to the auctions every week , he said there was an 03 GT2 with like 12k miles I believe? For like 85 or 90 forgot...

I have seen a ton of people keep GT3 drivers seat and stock passenger seat BTW, might look funny but I wouldn't give up the GT3 seat EVER

Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Stuka have you had any problems with your GT2 so far? Curious to see how they hold up over time and miles.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
Stuka have you had any problems with your GT2 so far? Curious to see how they hold up over time and miles.
The 996 has a shitty clutch line design that is exposed to the element.

Mine was cut by some road debris that I kicked up somehow, and it rendered me clutchless on the side of the road.

Oh, and the trunk release motor died and I couldn't get my bags out of the trunk, at a hotel garage. That was fun.

Nothing else comes to mind.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
In my 2 years and 15 k+ miles on the GT2, on and off the track all I have had wrong was broken shifter cable which was recent, and a cam sensor solenoid , just noticed I had a rough idle..

Otherwise and still I consider it bulletproof!

Last edited by iLLGT2; 12-09-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by iLLGT2
In my 2 years and 15 k miles on the GT2, on and off the track all I have had wrong was broken shifter cable which was recent, and a cam sensor solenoid , just noticed I had a rough idle..

Otherwise and still I consider it bulletproof!
Mine makes a whirling noise during startup when it's really cold outside, like 40 degrees, since the garage is not heated.

The noise goes away when the car warms up, but it didn't used to be there.

Count yourself lucky you haven't cut the clutch line.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mine makes a whirling noise during startup when it's really cold outside, like 40 degrees, since the garage is not heated.

The noise goes away when the car warms up, but it didn't used to be there.

Count yourself lucky you haven't cut the clutch line.
Check your boost hoses for a leak or something of that sort

Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
Now that I only have 6 months left on the GT2, the original plan was to buy it, but now, with the addition of a kid, I need a car with useful backseat area, which the 996 Turbo does have.

The problem is a legal one. Since the GT2 is certified with the government as a 2 seater, adding the parts and turning it into a four seater carries a big unknown should something happens and you are involved in anyway legally. The mrs is an attorney and nixed the idea pretty quick once her head gets turning on the whole potential liability issues.

Oh, and of course, if I do go ahead with the project, the first thing to go is the soft as butter clutch of the 996 Turbo. I love the stiff and grabby 996 GT2 clutch.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

And yes, I do hear the "we should have kept the Turbo" comment every time I bring this up.
Two words... WALLY WORLD

Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Teamspeed Surgeon
TT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud ofTT Surgeon has much to be proud of
I would keep the 2. maybe do the rear seats, it works out fine. But, drive a 997tt, you'll be pleasantly surprised, much better awd setup, more of a 90/10 rear to front drive bias. Very livable, will suit your needs just fine. Afterall, life is all about compromises, this one will work for you!
The 997tt is night and day from a 996tt. I've been on the track with many a 996 gt2, you're not giving up that much, trust me. You can probably do 85-90% of what you do in the 996 gt2 in a 997tt at the track, AND do all the family stuff too!
c

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 12-13-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Full Circle, not keeping the GT2