Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

Newbie question - Scud vs F430

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
TTBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie question - Scud vs F430

Hi, all.

In advance, thank you for your help.

I am in the process of researching my first Ferrari .

I am in a bit of a quandry, however. I originally had settled on an F430, but really, REALLY like the idea of a Scuderia.

My new car will definitely NOT be a garage queen - it will be used, and used for the odd long distance drive (800km+).

I'm thinking an F430 would be more than OK for such a drive, but what about a Scud? With the reduced sound deadening in the car, and an already louder exhaust, would I be making a huge mistake? I can put up with a lot (have replaced the exhaust on my current car - 2009 M3, with an Akrapovic full titanium, high-flow cats), but I'm thinking a Scud would be on an entirely different level of volume. I'm not looking for a cushy-mobile by any means, but 8 hours in a Scud might just be a little much?

How about the smoothness of the transmission? Ideally, if anyone has driven F430/Scud/M3 with DCT for comparison sake, I would love to hear from you. I'm thinking the single clutch F1 tranny is slightly more abrupt than BMW's dual-clutch layout, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience of both, if possible!

Thanks again. I'd really appreciate any help. I am vascillating between Scud and F430, on an almost daily basis! (And, to make matter worse, I keep looking at Gallardos and wondering.... )

Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck, congrats on pulling the trigger. I'll leave your question to be answered by someone that has both cars. Paging H20skier!!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure you don't want a GT Ferrari?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by smy266
Are you sure you don't want a GT Ferrari?
Absolutely certain. While I will be taking SOME longer trips, the car will primarily be for entertainment. I will be tracking it on occasion - albeit infrequently.

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Scud you won't like if you frequent 500 mile drives. I don't mind it and am ok with it but the seats will make your wife and girlfriend no longer your wife or girlfriend.

Occassional track days means 1 time per year. 430 more than ample.
Long trips 430 better than scud
Short fun trips with the sexiest Ferrari ever made? Scud wins

While the Scud is a fantastic beast the exhaust note is not what will be bothering you after 500 miles /800k. Your ass and back will be. The 430 seats are comfortable and are fantastic for long trips even if you have daytona's.

My 2 cents which is now 1.2cents in today's economy is buy the 430 and save the bucks for the wine when you get there.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
dmanero is an unknown quantity at this point
I was under the impression that you had to be a certain number of Ferrari models in order to qualify for a Scuderia.

but

I'd go with the F430, and keep the luxury of the interior and soft seats but do a bit of aftermarket modifying and power enhancements to the same standard as the Suderia. that way you have the best of both worlds.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by h20skier
Scud you won't like if you frequent 500 mile drives. I don't mind it and am ok with it but the seats will make your wife and girlfriend no longer your wife or girlfriend.

Occassional track days means 1 time per year. 430 more than ample.
Long trips 430 better than scud
Short fun trips with the sexiest Ferrari ever made? Scud wins

While the Scud is a fantastic beast the exhaust note is not what will be bothering you after 500 miles /800k. Your ass and back will be. The 430 seats are comfortable and are fantastic for long trips even if you have daytona's.

My 2 cents which is now 1.2cents in today's economy is buy the 430 and save the bucks for the wine when you get there.
H20skier - THANK YOU. Your reply more or less confirmed what I suspected. Points duly noted, and will be taken into account for when I make my decision. Ideally, I will just keep the M3, and use it for the longer trips, and go with the Scud for those short blasts (but the idea of an F-car sitting in the garage when I'm driving the M3 will no doubt be pretty hard to take, haha).

"My two cents which is now 1.2 cents in today's economy".... LOL. No kidding.

Cheers!!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Well I can tell you I have done several long distance trips in a f430 spider and in a 456 m gt. I can tell u that both cars are exhausting to drive, which i think is quite normal in a car like this. but i think the 430 is not a bad gt car. considering the exhaust noise just put it in wet mode and the valve won't open unless u really push it...considering the seats i can tell u - might sound weird - that the racing seats (contrarily to those in the scuderia) are very comfortable because of their perfect fit, i even think they are more comfortable then those in the 456...

Anyways u will have to accept that shifting is no comparison to a dct box, especially when u shift around middle rev range under normal throttle use it won't shift really smooth in the sense of a dct box, but this should be the same in both cars

Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dmanero
I was under the impression that you had to be a certain number of Ferrari models in order to qualify for a Scuderia.
Used market.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cyprus16M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Go for the 430. Scud would not be as comfy as the 430 on long trips.

Quick Reply: Newbie question - Scud vs F430