Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

Truth or Myth: I cannot walk into a dealership and buy a new 458.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
I gotta agree and disagree with both you and Stoppie. I have been with Porsche at the same dealership from 1996 until now. I sell on heritage and enthusiasm, technology and performance. There are good and bad dealers everywhere, and as Stoppie points out it's all top down from management.

Who are you again and can you please STFU? I own you n00b!!

Originally Posted by Simba
I was referring specifically to Ferrari dealerships.
Oh. Thought you were speaking directly at Gvan..

Originally Posted by jox
Whoa, that was yours? I read about that on Jalopnik a few weeks ago. Crazy.
No chit. Gvan if you want us to publicly hang your dealer, we can!

Welcome to TEAMspeed man!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hg_wng
i did, but from wat i understand, u have to pick up a slightly used car if u don't wanna go thru all the BS mentioned in the OP.

BTW i'm only 14 so i have NO idea wat the process of speccing a car involves. if u don't spec it, u get all the standard options and u only get to choose the colour? wat else can u change?

i apologise if i made any mistakes in my post

it was 4+ in the morning when i typed that.
I know you're 14, but please spell words out (i.e. "you" instead of "u", etc. - this isn't your cell phone). To answer your question, I've heard many times that many Ferrari dealers tell first-time buyers to buy a used Ferrari as "entry-level". Generally, picking a specification for a car is not at all difficult if you have a willing dealer (which they should be). What items you can specify depend on the manufacturer. $100K+ cars like Porsches, Ferraris, etc. can usually have almost every item built to order - carbon this, painted that, Alcantara the other, etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gvan
Yup, you're right. The availability of parts here is really pathetic. I'm very worried that not everything will be there, and that more parts will be needed.

Back on Topic, does anyone know if this whole "a first Ferrari is a used Ferrari" thing is corporate policy or dealer policy? Is it just in North America?

No problem!

I hear you on the "violated bit" I hear people getting service bills for 4-5k for what's essentially $300 in fluids and 2 hours of labour. The irony is that I'd always done all the maintenance on the car myself (all fluids, filters, gearbox, diffs, clutches, plugs, exhaust, A/C, broken window, etc) and this was the first time I ever took it anywhere since I wasn't equipped to do an alignment. Never again!
No clue who told you that a Ferrari service was 4-5k unless it was an older model. My 2004, 2008 and 2009 all run 1k for the yearly service total. Yep it's a rape you over the coals basic fluid change but that's the price you pay for owning a small marque.

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I know you're 14, but please spell words out (i.e. "you" instead of "u", etc. - this isn't your cell phone). To answer your question, I've heard many times that many Ferrari dealers tell first-time buyers to buy a used Ferrari as "entry-level". Generally, picking a specification for a car is not at all difficult if you have a willing dealer (which they should be). What items you can specify depend on the manufacturer. $100K+ cars like Porsches, Ferraris, etc. can usually have almost every item built to order - carbon this, painted that, Alcantara the other, etc.
Dealerships are a business. The way to generate business in a small car allocation dealership (Ferrari) they must buy and sell used cars. This is the way they pay their sales people. Most dealerships are given 20-30 new cars a year, and that's it. They can't survive on new alone so they build used car sales. The way they build used car sales is "look away" from customers that most likely have the money to buy a new car until they've purchased a few cars from them and established a relationship. Is this the correct way to do it? Who knows honestly. It's been done so long that it's become the normal for Ferrari. They never had issues before because Pre 2008 they had customers lined up willing to dump 10k,20k,50k plus over msrp to get a new car. They could hand select new car clients simply by who has the potential to bring them more business. If you walk in with a checkbook without a trade in they might turn you away as well. They need your other car to make a living. It's just business.

This practice is easily the reason people think you have to buy a used one before getting a new one came about. Will it change now that the 458 sales are slow? Most likely not too fast. Ferrari has cut way back on production to make sure the new cars are still sought after. Supply and Demand wins everytime. Do the dealers hate it? I'm sure they do. Why wouldn't you when your 1 major product is sabatoged by slow production numbers. Yes most have Maserati but that's a marque while good doesn't have near the following and the sales aren't flying out the door of those either.

They need your used car purchases and need them bad.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
oic, thanks for clearing it up
the reason i type like that is because i'm used to typing like that on the other forums i frequent XD

Old 12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
No clue who told you that a Ferrari service was 4-5k unless it was an older model. My 2004, 2008 and 2009 all run 1k for the yearly service total. Yep it's a rape you over the coals basic fluid change but that's the price you pay for owning a small marque.

Is this true for today's Ferrari? I had always been told that these services cost 4-5k for the 360's and I thought 430's. That's why people always say just because you can purchase a Ferrari Automobile doesn't mean you can afford to own one. This was always the big advantage that Porsche and Audi had with the R8. I hope I have been grossly misinformed because 1k is still insane but understandable to a degree, 4-5k is just them being assholes.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Is this true for today's Ferrari? I had always been told that these services cost 4-5k for the 360's and I thought 430's. That's why people always say just because you can purchase a Ferrari Automobile doesn't mean you can afford to own one. This was always the big advantage that Porsche and Audi had with the R8. I hope I have been grossly misinformed because 1k is still insane but understandable to a degree, 4-5k is just them being assholes.
360's need a timing belt every 3 years for about $3k-4k. Usual yearly stuff is $1k

The balance of your post I would attach to anything older than a 360. 355's I would figure 4-5k per year. 348's a chunk less and the older one's 3x8 series if you find a good small mechanic can be ok in the price point but parts take forever to find and might not be readily available.

So the old saying goes the Cheapest Ferrari isn't always the least expensive or there is nothing more expensive than a cheap ferrari.

There is a reason some of the 355 models sell for 35k and some sell for 65k and up. I wouldn't buy a 355 over a 360 but some of the top cars low miles perfect maintenance cost more than a good solid 360 coupe.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
My buddy just bought a 19000k mile 360 coupe; he wouldn't buy it w/o the 20k service done.

Which btw the Ferrari dealership charged the former owner- nearly $20k.

Ya that's a deal. LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Rolex Fanboy
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
My buddy just bought a 19000k mile 360 coupe; he wouldn't buy it w/o the 20k service done.

Which btw the Ferrari dealership charged the former owner- nearly $20k.

Ya that's a deal. LOL
This guy was charged for more than a standard service. Timing Belt and new Manifolds maybe would total this amount. Not totally uncommon for these cars (more likely in 430's and 355's) to need manifolds.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed Member
gvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to beholdgvan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
It was actually a Lamborghini service. 15k service if I recall. Plugs, oil, gearbox/diff fluid, air filter, and pollen filter. Costs me about $400, dealer charged this particular customer ten times that.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Rolex Fanboy
It was actually a Lamborghini service. 15k service if I recall. Plugs, oil, gearbox/diff fluid, air filter, and pollen filter. Costs me about $400, dealer charged this particular customer ten times that.
I'm always a little leary of the seems too good to be true repairs. While 4k is stupid for a fluid change I would be suspect of a guy in a shop charging $400. Some of the filters alone are $75 bucks. Oil $5-8 per quart. It adds up. I don't like 1k fluid changes either but I live with them.

The Timing belts on 360's are a good example. Some guys do them for $2k and most are about $3500-4k. Difference is you can reach in from the top and pull a belt off and put one back on. You can't properly time it when done this way. The labor alone to get the car spec'd and running correctly is the $1500 difference. Do I think it's fair? Well LOL not really. I do like my cars running perfect. I have no time for downtime. I like to do 4 things on a weekend trip. Drive, Drink, Eat and my wife. Not in that order and some go hand in hand I have no time for a breakdown

Quick Reply: Truth or Myth: I cannot walk into a dealership and buy a new 458.