Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

From the New York Times: Ferrari’s Bar Code, and a Visit to the Ferrari Factory

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow From the New York Times: Ferrari’s Bar Code, and a Visit to the Ferrari Factory

Ferrari’s Bar Code, and a Visit to the Ferrari Factory
By BRAD SPURGEON

Ferrari is the last team left that has a sponsorship contract with a tobacco company, but like all other teams, it ceased putting that sponsor’s logo on its car years ago. Now it is under fire from anti-tobacco activists who claim that the team’s bar code and the red color of the car evoke the sponsor — Marlboro — in everything but actual type. (Take a look at my video below to see how prevalent the color red is for Ferrari, even on their road cars.)

“Leading doctors are demanding an immediate government inquiry into ‘subliminal’ tobacco advertising on Ferrari’s Formula One cars, and the company’s $1 billion relationship with the maker of Marlboro cigarettes,” said an article in The Times of London yesterday.

The sponsorship deal with the manufacturer, Philip Morris, runs out in 2011. When I visited the Ferrari factory in Maranello on Tuesday, I was told unofficially that the deal was likely to be extended. Today, Ferrari has come out with a statement rebutting the subliminal-ad claims:
Today and in recent weeks, articles have been published relating to the partnership contract between Scuderia Ferrari and Philip Morris International, questioning its legality. These reports are based on two suppositions: that part of the graphics featured on the Formula 1 cars are reminiscent of the Marlboro logo and even that the red color, which is a traditional feature of our cars, is a form of tobacco publicity.

Neither of these arguments have any scientific basis, as they rely on some alleged studies which have never been published in academic journals. But more importantly, they do not correspond to the truth. The so called barcode is an integral part of the livery of the car and of all images coordinated by the Scuderia, as can be seen from the fact it is modified every year and, occasionally even during the season. Furthermore, if it was a case of advertising branding, Philip Morris would have to own a legal copyright on it.
Here is a video report I made at the Ferrari factory on Tuesday:

YouTube - FerrariFactory.mov

Source [New York Times]

Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
NYT really should have sent more of a Ferrari enthusiast for this INMO.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Who is that guy??

At least send someone who can appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
avlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura about
Atleast send someone who can drive. I've never seen someone bunnyhop on the track before.

He sounded like he was about to sh*t bricks the entire time. Could you not tell?

"why did nyt make me come here =("

when anyone else would be

"HOLY SHIT!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!! YEAH"

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* WAKE UP YOUR DRIVING AN ITALIA

Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
I believe at the end he syas there are 2 458's in front of him, and I don't think the white one is.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
avlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
I believe at the end he syas there are 2 458's in front of him, and I don't think the white one is.
The white one is not a 458, only the yellow one is.

epic journalist fail.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Teamspeed Member
GT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud ofGT Motoring has much to be proud of
hahaha. that guy was NOT the right person to send there...

Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Teamspeed Member
Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Shawn Schroer You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
This guy was a professional...? No wonder the New York Times can barely keep its head above water.

That was a torturous 8:34...! Funny, though at one point it sounded like the Ferraris were dubbed by the sound of the lawn mowers. Thanks for the video anyway, DJ.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Jesus.... I can't stand that guy. I don't like his voice.