Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

When does your collection require a Rolex?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
tourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura abouttourbillon001 has a spectacular aura about
such a hard question. My first nice watch was an omega and two weeks later I felt I needed a rolex. I got a two tone sub and wore it for about a year. i was fairly young (23) and really got sick of people asking me if it was real, I ended up selling it and have never looked back.

I think Rolex makes a great watch that are normally worn by people that are not collectors and they serve as a great daily watch for those people. If you want one in your collection go for it. Don't let a stigma stop you because the two watches you like really don't have a rolex look to them and honestly 99 percent of people can't tell a sekio from a rolex and really don't car.

good luck with your hunting

Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I used to be the biggest Rolex hater.

Between my wife and I we must have 20 now.

The new Explorer II 42mm is a perfect daily beater. Great travel piece and with oyster case, and bracelet can be worn for almost any activity.

The DeepSea is the king daddy size wize, but not for everyone.

New Submariner and GMT IIc happen to look really nice with the ceramic bezels.

I finally think Rolex is making watches worth owning. It you get sucked into the hype of the differnt dial markers, and different fonts - you can go mad - but for the money, Rolex is really some of the best value out on the market today. That's what really turned me on - They have kept prices relatively constant while many other brands have raised prices 15-25% in 12-18 months.

While the entry point used to be about $5,000 - today its more like $7,500 but you are getting something truly built well, for servicability and will last you and your ancestors many lifetimes if well maintained.

Rolex does a good job at Sport watches. Period.

Good luck -

asg

Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I do like the sub and the explorer but like mark said there are too many duesche bags that are associated with the brand...I priced out chopards, Panerai's, Bell and Ross and IWC....so many other great time pieces out there! Not only that but everyone knows rolex....more good conversations will come out of an IWC guaranteed

Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by asg612
I used to be the biggest Rolex hater.

Between my wife and I we must have 20 now.

The new Explorer II 42mm is a perfect daily beater. Great travel piece and with oyster case, and bracelet can be worn for almost any activity.

The DeepSea is the king daddy size wize, but not for everyone.

New Submariner and GMT IIc happen to look really nice with the ceramic bezels.

I finally think Rolex is making watches worth owning. It you get sucked into the hype of the differnt dial markers, and different fonts - you can go mad - but for the money, Rolex is really some of the best value out on the market today. That's what really turned me on - They have kept prices relatively constant while many other brands have raised prices 15-25% in 12-18 months.

While the entry point used to be about $5,000 - today its more like $7,500 but you are getting something truly built well, for servicability and will last you and your ancestors many lifetimes if well maintained.

Rolex does a good job at Sport watches. Period.

Good luck -

asg
You don't count

20 Rolex equal one of your other pieces

you probably pass them out at holiday parties

Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Gents - there are plenty of douchebags that are driving porsches and ferrari's. Hell, the 911 get's compared to a Rolex all the time. Do you not buy a car because a guy who is a douchebag drives it?

Its silly logic.

Rolex - the truth is - its a watchmakers watch. The real reason why they are so good is that they are truly designed for easy serviceability. The way the movements are assembled allows for rapid lubrication, replacing of parts etc.

They are not the fanciest pieces. Most of the recommendations here are not for the bling bling presidents with rubies and sapphires and diamonds. We are talking about timeless (yes H20Skier) - they are timeless designs - simple timepieces. These are tool watches -

Most douchebags are wearing gold presidents or gold yachtmasters. And I agree, anyone in a two tone might be a douchebag until further investigation.

The new Green bezel and dialed Sub is a great watch. As is the WG Sub with blue dial and bezel.

You will find douchebags who like everything - its unfortunate that many douchebags have means which some think gives them the ability to act like douchebags. Screw them -

I know a big big douchebag who drives a white Carrera GT. Not, anyone on these fora - but it doesnt spoil it for me. I still want one and love seeing them. I also dont think everyone who owns one is a Douche.

The other thing about rolex is they are a non-profit. Did you know that? - they are owned by the Sandoz Foundation (I believe). They make about 700,000 to 1,000,000 watches annually. That's insane. They are certainly more abundant than pateks and langes, but I certainly would not call them "common." - there are 6Billion people in the world? More common than other high end watches, yes. More idiot douchbag jewelers sell Rolex's and know nothing about them, yes, but it doesnt take away from the beauty that IS Rolex?

A brand like Journe makes less than 1,000 pieces - Patek makes 40,000 total, but if you take out the quartz and entry level shit PS215 movement, you get about 8,000-10,000 pieces.

Rolex is on a different scale and is a different animal.

Coming from a person who has literally owned and sold over 150 watches in the past 10 years, who for the first 8 never would put a Rolex on his wrist and would talk everyone he knew out of buying one......its silly. They hold their value better, they have a timeless design, are well made and have true usefulness in their function. If there is something wrong with that, then call me crazy.

Dont get caught up in the hype. I am a down to earth guy, I put my pants on one leg at a time, and like to think that I'm not a douchebag, even though I'm wore a Rolex all last week.

Just buy one and dont worry what others think of you. AS long as you are true to yourself, and do for yourself what YOU want to do - and buy what makes YOU happy, you will enjoy your purchase that much more.

best,

asg

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Rolex is a requirement in every real collection. They are truly timeless, hold their value very well, and can be worn with ANYTHING and at any occasion; period. And I would say Daytona, but I am biased. There are several amazing Rolexes out there, and if you need any help finding a nice one that isn't from an AD, let me know.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by h20skier
You don't count

20 Rolex equal one of your other pieces

you probably pass them out at holiday parties
HA! I didnt see this when I was posting....

I actually just ordered a Black dial daytona for a colleague as a surprise "bonus" gift.

Truth is, I eat my words alot when it comes to Rolex, but when you accept the fact that Rolex has a strong resale, and are the best sports beaters around at (compared to others) fair prices - its a winning combination.

Be careful Mark - I'm sending you a GMT IIc fedex. PM me your address

Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Just tried on some rolexes tonight in honor of this thread - they felt like a hunk of steel on my wrist. They are timeless, they haven't had a major redesign of their pieces, but I don't know about the watchmakers watch. I have heard JLC used in that regard because a lot of watchmakers wear them and they make movement ls for the big guys.

There is no requirement to have anything in your collection. All rolexes are good for in recognition IMO. I've said before- I have been out with people wearing PP and Rolex; people only notice Rolex

Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
A Daytona in almost any finish is always a good Rolex to have.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
POWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond reputePOWERHOUSE has a reputation beyond repute
^Except gold.

Quick Reply: When does your collection require a Rolex?