Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Help with new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Help with new purchase

TS,

In the next 4 months I will be buying a new watch. I already have some idea on what I like but need help narrowing it down, and options that I may have thought of. My budget is $8k, so yes I know AP RO perp skeleton /thread; PP ref xxxx /thread; urwerk /thread. Now that that is out of the way, real suggestions are welcomed. I have an IWC with black strap, so I am thinking of going brown strap. If I go the brown route, I will get a 'classier' watch, possibly polished, so that would relegate it to night/weekend duty. Whereas going with a steel bracelet would be more everyday and could split time with my IWC. Looking for something that I will keep for a long time.

1) JLC master calendar - dk. brown strap, 40.5 mm x 13mm, display case back
pro: gorgeous watch, love JLC, annual calendar with moon phase.
neg: dislike the power meter as it takes away from the look, annual calendar may need more shop time
Name:  3990_Jaeger_LeCoultre_Master_Calendar_SS__Silver__Leather_01.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  45.6 KB
Name:  3990_Jaeger_LeCoultre_Master_Calendar_SS__Silver__Leather_05.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  182.6 KB

2) JLC master control - dk. brown strap, 40 mm x 8.5mm, display case back
pro: perfect classy watch, love how simple it is.
neg: lack of complications
Name:  3993_Jaeger_LeCoultre_Master_Control_Automatic_SS__Silver__Leather_02.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  170.6 KB

3) Glashutte Original Senator Panorama Date with Moonphase - light brown strap, 40.1mm, display case back
pro: great dial layout, grey face contrast well with lt. brown, great movement decoration, large sweep seconds
neg: don't know much about this brand, website says Glashutte has been making high end watched for 165 years (true as its a city known for German watches), but it seems Gluashutte original is from early 1990's? Seems shady, but would like to be educated.
Name:  _MG_9431.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  190.8 KB
Name:  _MG_9434.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  157.0 KB

4) IWC Portuguese FA Jones: lt. brown strap, 43mm, display case back, manual
pro: gorgeous dial simplicity and class, excellent movement decoration
neg: 43mm is a bit big for a classy watch without more on the dial, tang buckle, may be difficult to get BNIB
Name:  iwc-portugieser-fa-jones-18544-114.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  181.4 KB
Name:  iwc_jones_back1.jpg
Views: 2498
Size:  113.4 KB

5) Rolex Submariner 16610: black face, 40mm, steel bracelet
pro: the benchmark steel bracelet watch, can wear with anything, I like how the 16610 case/bracelet come together vs the new 116610 ceramic
neg: unfortunately rolex is synonymous with people who buy watches solely for branding, so I feel people get one just so people notice they have a Rolex on, not the new clasp mechanism
Name:  dsc07893hd.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  179.0 KB

6) IWC ingenuir 3227-01: 42 mm x 14.5 mm, black face, steel bracelet
pro: Love the gerald genta evolution, love the dial and the bracelet link design, not a submariner
neg: Very thick, would be tough to wear with dress shirts, may be bought to find BNIB
Name:  IWC322701-450.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  36.0 KB

7) Panerai radiomir 283: brown strap, 45mm, display case back
pro: classic design , fantastic movement, like the cushion case
neg: PAMs are becoming the leather equivalent of rolex.
Name:  1312310550164_allinone2.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  79.8 KB

Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
Well Kevin, what else could you expect from me? Go for the IWC FA Jones is my advice, yes it´s 43 MM, but what strike me when testing it when visiting my 2 year older brother in late october this year, is that this watch has a real presence! It´s so white in the dial, and the numerals is big and beautiful. It has no date but thats fine with me, if you have a lot of watches and use them occasionally you do not have to set the date every time.

And the see-through sapphire-glass back makes you see that amazing movement!

Go for it, that would make the two of us!

Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
I totally get the Rolex stigma but I absolutely love them. Any one of those would be a fantastic purchase. Can't wait to see which one you choose Kevin!

Pretty crappy advice on my part

Last edited by 65°V12; 12-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
I love JLC (bias maybe ) so I say Master Calendar or that GO which is gorgeous. For a sportier watch, I do like the ceramic Sub, unbeatable practicality.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
SHH
Teamspeed Senior Member
SHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the roughSHH is a jewel in the rough
Some very nice watches right there Kevin. Good luck with the purchase! I'm PM'ing you about a JLC Master Calendar I know of

Last edited by SHH; 12-01-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Love the JLC Master Control. Simple, clean and classy

I had a master control chrono and loved it. Still think its one of the most beautiful watches.

Just remember JLC depreciates quite a bit. I always go used

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
^^besides the FA Jones I also really like that Glashutte. Classy.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
New OG
samuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond reputesamuel.g has a reputation beyond repute
For me it would be the submariner, I could care less what other people think of the brand and the people who wear them, it's a damn nice watch. The JLC master control is quite nice as well but I don't like how sharp the hour markers are.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Axman
Well Kevin, what else could you expect from me? Go for the IWC FA Jones is my advice, yes it´s 43 MM, but what strike me when testing it when visiting my 2 year older brother in late october this year, is that this watch has a real presence! It´s so white in the dial, and the numerals is big and beautiful. It has no date but thats fine with me, if you have a lot of watches and use them occasionally you do not have to set the date every time.

And the see-through sapphire-glass back makes you see that amazing movement!

Go for it, that would make the two of us!
Yea I love your FA jones, problem is actually seeing one in person. The watch is simply stunning, just not sure about the 43mm. Definitely tied for #1 with the JLC right now.

Originally Posted by Dutchnick
^^besides the FA Jones I also really like that Glashutte. Classy.
Yea, the glashutte looks really classy. I am just a little unsure about the brand, if anyone has more info. I think that it with the moon phase and lt brown strap that adds excitement to the watch to keep it OK for us younger folk.

Originally Posted by samuel.g
For me it would be the submariner, I could care less what other people think of the brand and the people who wear them, it's a damn nice watch. The JLC master control is quite nice as well but I don't like how sharp the hour markers are.
I agree, the sub is an epic bracelet watch - the quintessential. But for me, I do care what others think. I just have an innate interest in watches. My friend has a sub and we go out when I have my IWC on and people mention his rolex all the time, not once my IWC. I like that because watches aren't about impressing others, plus it makes it visible to criminals as well (know someone who got their watch stolen while walking in the city).

Originally Posted by ljg
I love JLC (bias maybe ) so I say Master Calendar or that GO which is gorgeous. For a sportier watch, I do like the ceramic Sub, unbeatable practicality.
You have a JLC, did I know that, post er up. Right now it is #1- JLC/IWC, #2- GO

Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!MontrealMike You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Hands down the master calendar. Brilliant!

Quick Reply: Help with new purchase