Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Daytona came in, dealer upped price. Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Riverstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Daytona came in, dealer upped price. Legal?

I bought a Daytona from my jeweler eight months ago. Like some dealers, I had to put half down to hold my spot when it came in. They filled out a sales receipt, essentially putting it on layaway until the watch came in. So I had a balance of half of the price, which I had to pay when I received it.

So the watch came in, and the jeweler added on the $1300 price increase. I knew all about it, so I had no problem paying it. However, one of my colleagues did the same thing from another dealer but because he had already put down money on it, they said they were not allowed to raise the price on him.

What's the story? I know that his price went up as the retail price went up, but the price was not exactly publicized. However, on the sales receipt the price is hand-written out at $7900. I hate to play devil's advocate, but I highly doubt that if the price dropped to $5900, he would save me money. He would probably say "sorry, you purchased at this price."

Any words from the wise?

Old 05-18-2008, 04:29 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to say. Since they are an AD they probably have to comply with selling at the current price.

Consider yourself lucky, few of us get these watches at list.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
forhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the watch. What kind of relationship do you have with the AD? I believed that Rolex required dealers to sell at list. Not above or below. You should call them up and question it.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
MementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the roughMementoMori is a jewel in the rough
I would absolutely not pay more than the receipt states is due.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
I think your stuck on this one.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Stryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond repute
It is illegal in the US to price fix. MSRP is a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. No one can tell a store what price to sell an item at. They tell you that to keep you from arguing. "Sorry, it's not us. I'd love to give you a discount but Rolex policy does not allow it."

Makes it sound alot better than, "I don't want to discount it so take it or leave it."