Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

So I am an IDIOT and need help with ROLEX

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
So I am an IDIOT and need help with ROLEX

*UPDATE*

I finally made a decision on who to send my watch off to for work. I decided to use site sponsor The Watch Collector NY, team member Stryke (Gil) was was excellent to work with. He had seen this thread and when I called to set up service he provided me an accurate estimate based on my description as well as what "could be problems when the watch was opened up and examined". He definately did not leave me feeeling I might be taken advantage of by sending something off to someone I have never met personally. Styke then e-mailed me a UPS packing slip, set up the needed ins coverage and basically made this the smoothest transaction that could be.

The process took maybe two weeks... it was completed faster than I expected. I had some parts that needed replacing and even the packaging material was returned to me (unnecessary, but cool).

The overall cost, not bad, not as much as I had feared as I needed a new main spring bridge, new crown (stripped) and tube it screws into, gaskets and a new dial. The insides were cleaned and lubed, then the outside was polished. The band even closes more securely now. The cost was worth it.

Understand, I use this watch everyday in the construction trade. I scratched the crap out of the band and "body" of the watch. It came back to me in like new condition. It is so shiny I am almost going to feel bad about the scratches that are sure to happen in the future.

I received a great service, a great price, and have left this transaction wanting to buy more from Stryke. I recommend him anyday of the week.

Thank yoy all for your time and Thank you Stryke for the great product you put out there.

Wilson

Rolex Datejust (Gold and Stainless)

So I left the crown open after winding my watch yesterday (had not worn in a couple of days and it stopped) and then jumped in the shower. I did not notice until I reach into the frozen food freezer at the store and notice the bezel is fogged from the inside.

So I go home and take off the watch, and place it on the counter next to a running hair dryer... walk off to get some thing to drink as my nerves were shot... and get caught up in something only to return a few minutes later with a watch that is A: too hot to touch, B: in three pieces, C: with an owner in full on panic attack.

So, the crystal is off of the watch, the bezel is off the watch and the watch is running with it's hands exposed for all the world to see.

How F'd am I?

I am looking for a Rolex approved shop in Lexington, KY to take it to today. Any advice?

Thank you,
Wilson

And to top it off, my car battery died last night.

Last edited by Yonder; 11-19-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: updated
Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
You can send it to Rolex repair in NYC if there is no one local who can do it.

Will be $$$$.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Unlucky make. Judging by how much the jeweler said that you must never do that, I think your gonna get done.
But really, what do they do? Dry off, wash with alcohol, re oil and assemble?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor
Amun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enoughAmun will become famous soon enough
not that big a deal to reset the crystal, any half decent watchsmith with a crystal press can do that for you. Not familiar with Rolex bezel design for comment on it's installation but the real question is how borked is the movement and seals. What on earth possessed you leave it with a hair dryer? Hopefully a simple (ha) teardown/lube job would probably have to be done. No telling what the heat did to the seals and gaskets. I am sorry to say but you'll be better off sending it to a rolex repair center.

Next time, use silica packets (the things commonly found in shoe boxes) they work wonders in drying them out. Just pop the crown and stuff it in a ziplock with a bunch of them for 48hrs, it should be fine.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
THank you all for your responses. It is surely dry now... The hair dryer idea was my girlfriends, but she thought I would keep it on my wrist while doing so. I was in the process of making a meal for her family for my b-day... long story. But anyway I was frazzled and not thinking clearly. Completely my fault. I have been told tht all rolex repairs have to go thru rolex... may try to have it pressed back together at a local place I have not been to talk to yet, bu I dont know. I am concerned about ust long term inside the case.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
bite the bullet, send it to Rolex, they will completely disassemble the entire watch, repair/replace any damaged parts and reassemble. The watch will be good as new.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Ok ok I will step up and take it off your hands... $120

just kidding... If that's all that's wrong then your alright I believe
Send it to rolex an have it done right

Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
And in Bahrainy dollars thats what 6 grand US and you have a deal.

working on contacting rolex

Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
SpeedKingz is an unknown quantity at this point
be careful when going to an unauthorized rolex shop. some of those people would swap out real parts with fake parts and do some shaddy stuff with your watch.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Well, I have gotten ahold of an outfit called Antique Time out of Medford OR. They have quoted me 285 for the overhaul service, 30 for a new main spring if needed(likely) and 125 to refinsh the dial if a cleaning won't cut it. May need a new crystal, but not likely at 150.

Add in shipping... and I am not in as big a hole as I thought I was.

Anyone heard anything about Antique Time?

Wilson

Quick Reply: So I am an IDIOT and need help with ROLEX