Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

What makes a watch 'great'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
What makes a watch 'great'?

Thought I'd post this 'newbie' question as I am admittedly not very knowledgeable on any deep level about watches.

I have always had a soft spot for Rolex, as they have a great history and were really largely efficient, practical and indispensable when they were created and used primarily in the 50's and 60's.

The idea of 'two tone' and gold Rolex's always were laughable to me as that idea seemed counter to the original intention of their purpose. Not to be jewelry but to be simply accurate and dependable in varieties of situations, including diving, traveling and even working around heavy electromagnetic fields. Now as 'laughable' as I felt it was to make 'two tone' and gold Rolexes, I have many.. I love them and the practicality of them resounds with me. Much in the way that Porsche does.

The reason I thought of making this thread is that my beloved Breguet is not functioning accurately and perhaps it's lack of use and leaving it not wound has contributed towards it's need to go in for service..Probably just needs lubrication and perhaps even to be demagnetized.

With all of my watches and constantly changing them, I never really spent much time paying attention to setting them to exact to the second specs. But since I have been trying to get the Breguet working perfectly, I have also set the time precisely on my new GMT IIc and Milgauss. I am amazed that they seem to be accurate to the second so far within 24 hours! This may or may not be anything to be proud of, as admittedly I am not really much into what is involved in making these movements.

I am starting to get interested in the technical aspects of watches and am interested in starting a discussion about what exactly makes a watch special. Is it because of the hand made aspects of the movements and assembly?

How does accuracy vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? We know Rolex makes about 2000 units a day as opposed to some that made less than 2000 in their history!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Bo means business
Bonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond repute
a watch becomes great when i wear them...

i have no technical experience in watches so i wont be able to help you... i usually buy a watch simply coz it looks nice.. and thats it.