Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

What's on your wrist today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
It's interesting how our taste changes over the years:

My first decent piece was a Tag of some sort, followed by a Cartier Tank. Both of these were gifts and I do recall spending hours choosing the Tag whilst the Tank was passed down to me.

After living a few years in LA I bought my first "serious" piece, my Panerai 253 LE in 2007. I spent quite a few months deliberating over what I wanted and PAMS were and to a slightly leser degree still are highly sought after and are strong sellers. I came very close to buying a Daytona on a strap and many other pieces, though off the top of my head these were the main contenders. I recall looking at brands such as AP ( out of my league), Hublot (seemed to be a fashion piece IMO) and IWC (which I thought rather bland)!

I left LA after 4 years of being in the property development industry and back to London to try my hand at starting up a new company in August 09' and touch wood placed myself into a position to be able to continue this rather addictive hobby!

Earlier this year I purchased my second nice piece, a spur of the moment decision when Redline Robert was selling his SS Daytona with a black dial at a reasonable price. I had been eyeing up Rolex's, especially as I had almost bought one back in 07' and since buying it can honestly say I rarely wear the PAM. The Daytona is an extremely versatile piece which can be worn with a suit (my 253 is too large to wear comfortably) or in a more casual manner and its something which although seems to be the standard brand of choice for those that either wish to be flash and display their wealth or for non enthusiasts I've found myself increasingly attached to the Daytona.

One brand that was off the radar almost entirely was IWC. Upon meeting up with member 'Green' in 09' I recall having drinks with him and his wife here in London and I admired his IWC 'Topgun'. Couple years later to earlier this year and the release of the Big Pilot Perpetual Calander piqued my interest in the brand and I began to eagerly follow their 2011 releases. The perp bp is one of two grail pieces at the moment but as I've mentioned from time to time, it's too much money for me to psychologically spend. The Portofino chronograph on the Milanese strap caught my attention after member 'H20' posted a picture and I had lusted after it since! The movement in this piece isn't phenomenal and I was tempted to go for the Portuguese chronograph, however it simply didn't appeal to me on the same aesthetic level as it didn't have the day nor date readout, something my two other pieces both lacked (on one single piece). I believe the IWC will become my daily as it's so practical, the strap will look great with a bit of wear and tear and appears to be rock solid. The piece is classic and I'm sure I'll admire it for years to come.

I'm rambling but it's interesting to see how our taste changes and to see what direction we go with our decisions in which brand / piece to go for! Reading through 6speed, then Teamspeed over the years has been a great starting point prior to moving on to dedicated horological forums and I look forward to sharing the passion and reading about other members pieces!

Looking forward to the next one! AP RO Perp Skel?!

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited by LABrit; 12-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Good write up, nice collection you have there josh. It seems like buying/collection watches has an evolution of its own. I am trying to figure out my next piece and it is a fun process!!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks bud. Mildly concerned as I just tried to find the Tag and Cartier and have no idea where they are...been 18 months or so since I moved in here and neither piece is where a few other ransoms are (LE swatch, casio calculator thing and a fashion piece I've never worn that was a gift). Hmm I think OCD is about to take over...must find them!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up Josh, everybody here should by now know what I feel for IWC. And to be honest the first IWC for me should of been the Portuguese Chrono, but it ended with me having two other Portugueses.

It´s like Kevin says, it seems like buying/collection watches has an evolution of its own.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Jeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ludas
I really like the Portofinos but for me it's extremely frustrating. Why would IWC do a fantastic amazingly looking piece like the one below (my favourite Portofino) and then make it 45 mm so it looks like shit on the wrist? IWC - WHY????

I don't know much about watches, just recently started paying attention to them and trying to learn more about them... but what about the 45mm makes it look like shit? Is it because it's too big on the wrist? Too small? Sorry to be a newb, just curious

Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
^ ^ No worry, it´s just because Ludas has tiny girls wrists and think this watch is to big for him.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro

Ok found the Tag, I think the tank is in the safe but will check later.

The Casio is a bit of fun, the tag my first piece as mentioned earlier and the Kenneth Cole a present from my gramps years ago when he bought one for himself and also one for me when at Costco before I headed off to college. Note that the plastic is still on the face, neither of us ever wore the pieces lol!

The Swatch is an interesting one. It's called the 'Nuit Cosmique' and was a run of LE's in 2001 which is when I bought this in David Orgell in Beverly Hills. The swatch card states it has 12 diamonds on it adding up to 0.09 carats. Balling! I remember LOVING this piece when I first bought it!

Last edited by LABrit; 12-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
eitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enough
wery good post josh.
we can have meeting in portofino italy.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
eitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enougheitan will become famous soon enough
i like the casio.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Jeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enoughJeremy@Prior Design will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Axman
^ ^ No worry, it´s just because Ludas has tiny girls wrists and think this watch is to big for him.
lol.

Quick Reply: What's on your wrist today?