Notices
The Watch Forum Show & Sell Your Favorite Time Pieces Here!

Your next watch

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal
My wife wants that IWC SO BAD, so I told here that I would buy it for her when we had our first (and only ) child.
Aside from the questionable decision of picking you as a husband, your wife seems to have excellent taste.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond repute
Tuttonero

Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
nice to see you posting again!!

Great piece as well!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vltsai
The main thing I'm interested in is which to buy and how much would I be expecting to pay. I noticed that some online retailers have it for sub-$3k new (after some sort of discount) but if I go used I'm guessing I could have it for a steal of a price. I'm assuming the standard Ref. is 3570.50.00. Are there any other Refs. to be considered? Would going vintage be an option? And where does the co-axial versions come into play? I'm guessing that's Omega's in-house movement, right?
Originally Posted by Ludas
Craigger I'm slumped with work, can you take care of this one?
Sure thing!

Those retailers are what are called Grey Market Dealers. They sell legit merchandise, but no manufacturers warrantee is included. If you plan to have the watch for a while, and it's a fairly reliable movements, I wouldn't worry about it. If you plan on getting rid of it sometime soon, then the lack of stamped warranty card is going to kill resale in a big way.

3570 is indeed the classic professional, with 3572 and 3573 being different variations of the display back case.

The cheapest Speedmasters are the "reduced" or triple date models, both of which utilize a 39mm case and 18 or 19mm bracelet I do believe. The co-axials are fairly (less than 5 years old) and a 44mm case if you like a little larger watch.

the only knowledge of the vintage speed masters is, if you want he exact model worn on the moon, you're looking at pre 1987, as that when Buzz and Neil were issued there Speedmasters. These house the cal. 321 movement, which in a sense can be found in similar era Patek Phillip chronographs. Cool stuff indeed.

Last edited by Craigger; 03-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Craigger
Sure thing!

Those retailers are what are called Grey Market Dealers. They sell legit merchandise, but no manufacturers warrantee is included. If you plan to have the watch for a while, and it's a fairly reliable movements, I wouldn't worry about it. If you plan on getting rid of it sometime soon, then the lack of stamped warranty card is going to kill resale in a big way.

3570 is indeed the classic professional, with 3572 and 3573 being different variations of the display back case.

The cheapest Speedmasters are the "reduced" or triple date models, both of which utilize a 39mm case and 18 or 19mm bracelet I do believe. The co-axials are fairly (less than 5 years old) and a 44mm case if you like a little larger watch.

the only knowledge of the vintage speed masters is, if you want he exact model worn on the moon, you're looking at pre 1987, as that when Buzz and Neil were issued there Speedmasters. These house the cal. 321 movement, which in a sense can be found in similar era Patek Phillip chronographs. Cool stuff indeed.
Awesome, so I'd probably be looking for the classic professional / one of the caseback variations if I wanted the true original (or the modern version of it). Co-axial isn't as important unless I want a bigger watch, right, but I like 42 anyway...44 might be an option but really 42 is just about perfect. I don't think vintage is as big of a deal since I'd probably want something along the same lines as the current Professional anyway. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the models like the Broad Arrow, since they're Co-Axial, are the bigger ones anyway?

Man, before I was thinking about the PAM164 but the Speedmasters seem so much cooler. Especially the Apollo Soyuz one. Meteorite face...way cool.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Aside from the questionable decision of picking you as a husband, your wife seems to have excellent taste.
Thanks Alex. I could say the same thing about your lady picking you, but I won't go there...

Originally Posted by hugo
Tuttonero
Nice looking, but I am not a fan of ceramic pieces. I own a PVD PAM, so I dig the all-black look.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vltsai
Awesome, so I'd probably be looking for the classic professional / one of the caseback variations if I wanted the true original (or the modern version of it). Co-axial isn't as important unless I want a bigger watch, right, but I like 42 anyway...44 might be an option but really 42 is just about perfect. I don't think vintage is as big of a deal since I'd probably want something along the same lines as the current Professional anyway. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the models like the Broad Arrow, since they're Co-Axial, are the bigger ones anyway?

Man, before I was thinking about the PAM164 but the Speedmasters seem so much cooler. Especially the Apollo Soyuz one. Meteorite face...way cool.
The broad arrow I posted is 42mm. There are 44mm versions of the Broad Arrow I do believe.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Craigger
The broad arrow I posted is 42mm. There are 44mm versions of the Broad Arrow I do believe.
There are 44mm Broad Arrows, the ones with the GMT function. The thing with the Broad Arrow I have heard is that their automatic caliber isn't always very reliable. At least not as reliable as the Professional (which is extremely reliable).

Another 44mm Speedy is the new model for 2011 which has Omegas brand new in house movement 9300.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant futurevltsai has a brilliant future
I noticed that one. Great looking version, the missing sub-dial threw me off but it looks so clean.

Any thoughts on the hesalite vs sapphire? I noticed the professional uses hesalite while the other models use sapphire. I understand the hesalite was used because it doesn't shatter, but it also scratches very easily (though it seems that it can be polished up rather quickly). That being said...it still isn't sapphire.

Basically, I'm getting that Omega is painting the picture of super robust work watch with the professional, with their workhorse 1861 movement vs their 9300, and the easily replaced and shatter-proof hesalite, correct?

I'm just loving this line more and more as I read on about it.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
I love Hesalite. It scratches easily yes, but it also polishes out in 30 seconds with a bit of toothpaste. Plus it distorts beautifully at angle.

Quick Reply: Your next watch