Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Honeymoon Idea - US Cross Continent ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
Question Honeymoon Idea - US Cross Continent ?

Hey everyone,

I recently got engaged and planing to be wed in June 5th My fiance and I are planing a cross continent US road trip as a honeymoon vacation. We have both seen many of the exotic honeymoon locations before (Maldives, Caribbeans,phuket ıslands etc.) therefore we prefer alive cities rather then laying under sun all day for a week.

I have always wanted to explore US in a long haul since all I've seen so far have been the major cities (NYC,Miami,Boston,Las Vegas, etc.)
We were planing on starting in Miami and head out to l.a. passing through Alabama, Texas, Arizona and finally reaching Cali.

With that said, I have a few concerns and I would appreciate if you guys could enlighten me ;

1 - Would 10 days be enough to cover such vast distance without exhausting ourselves ?

2 - Would 10 days give us enough time to appreciate all our stops or would we be rushing through every stop ? (Stops like, Dallas,grand canyon, San Francisco etc.)

3 - Is there any other route you could recommend which would shorten the trip but give us more time in must see places ?

4 - Is there any other road trip route which would give us more thing to see such as New York start and heading to west cost through Colorado ?

5 - Would this kind of a trip be too tiring for a honeymoon and should we stick to one or two cities for 10 days and be done with it ?

Sorry for a long list of questions but I am sure I'll have very valuable tips from you all.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Clubber; 12-18-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
I have done few automotive long-hauls through US back in 2005/2006 and can say that trip is doable and not so exhausting at all, but you'll get to see only few points of interest, but at the same time miles and miles of boring highways on both NYC-SF and Miami-LA trips. Really long, boring roads with lack of anything interesting and loads speed traps making you to be on alert if you want to entertain yourself with a bit of speeding.

I would recommend you to land in SF, spend few days there, drive down to LA via PCH, spend few days in LA/OC/SD, choose the most appropriate for yourself, and then come to Miami to explore the loads of fun this amazing city has to offer, reserve a day or few for Keys also.

In conclusion - if you want max fun, enjoyment and relax do the cross-country with the plane and enjoy CA and FL, if you want to see more of non-touristy US, which is something I'll remember for a long time for sure, and prepared for a bit boring and scenery lacking road, do it with car.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the above statements.
I would personally throw out the idea of driving coast to coast. Which if you did straight through will take 5 days. Leaving you very little time.
I would fly into NYC and drive to Chicago. Spend a couple days in each city then fly to San Francisco spend a few days and drive down to LA and San Diego, and spend your last few days.
Driving through the middle of the country is very boring and long, with very little to see. Southern CA has more to offer then Miami without all the heat and humidity IMO.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D55L
I have done few automotive long-hauls through US back in 2005/2006 and can say that trip is doable and not so exhausting at all, but you'll get to see only few points of interest, but at the same time miles and miles of boring highways on both NYC-SF and Miami-LA trips. Really long, boring roads with lack of anything interesting and loads speed traps making you to be on alert if you want to entertain yourself with a bit of speeding.

I would recommend you to land in SF, spend few days there, drive down to LA via PCH, spend few days in LA/OC/SD, choose the most appropriate for yourself, and then come to Miami to explore the loads of fun this amazing city has to offer, reserve a day or few for Keys also.

In conclusion - if you want max fun, enjoyment and relax do the cross-country with the plane and enjoy CA and FL, if you want to see more of non-touristy US, which is something I'll remember for a long time for sure, and prepared for a bit boring and scenery lacking road, do it with car.
With yours and others recommendation, we are drifting away from coast to coast as you mentipned boring highways could be deal breakers As you suggested driving through a single state looks like more fun and less hassle such as cali or florida. Thanks for your tips.

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I agree with the above statements.
I would personally throw out the idea of driving coast to coast. Which if you did straight through will take 5 days. Leaving you very little time.
I would fly into NYC and drive to Chicago. Spend a couple days in each city then fly to San Francisco spend a few days and drive down to LA and San Diego, and spend your last few days.
Driving through the middle of the country is very boring and long, with very little to see. Southern CA has more to offer then Miami without all the heat and humidity IMO.
Cali seems to offer more than florida it seems besides I've never seen it. You are also right about the weather as Miami will be an oven in July. We are leaning heavly to Cali then... Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Clubber
With yours and others recommendation, we are drifting away from coast to coast as you mentipned boring highways could be deal breakers As you suggested driving through a single state looks like more fun and less hassle such as cali or florida. Thanks for your tips.
Yup, you'll spend the big part of your time essential to have fun on driving through boring places and will not enjoy it if you want to have fun and entertain both you and your wife. My goal was to explore non-touristy US and I completed my mission, that's why long miles of driving were necessary.

SoCal offers much more in summer, I spent the biggest part of my time in US there and I love this place, but beware of June Gloom, type into google to see what it is. And yes, SoFl can be sticky and very hot this time of the year, and some occasional early storm can hit as well.

Overall, my personal best time to come to US is mid-spring - New York blooms, SoCal as its best with amazing weather and vegetation and SoFl isn't that humid and hot till May.

But if June is a must stick to then NYC to Chicago and SF to LA/OC/SD via PCH. Best of the US in all its glory. And reserve SoFl for one of the winters then, for example January, when its Cavallino time in Palm Beach.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Steve Clapton is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice post. i really like your site. i found it helpful and informative. i think people should go through it.Thank you for sharing.

Other stuff to do on Phuket - Phuket Thailand

Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
michelleclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Honeymoon holidays have evolved from the conventional beach holiday and are now as unique and wide-ranging as the couples taking them.honeymoons incorporate everything you want and expect from one of the most important trips you will ever take.

Thanks,
travel to koh samui