Notices
Travel | Hotels & Resorts | Restaurants & Food Share Experiences From Your Favorite Hotels & Restaurants From Around The Globe.

Anyone been to Brazil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone been to Brazil?

So one of my buddies, who I have gotten into some sticky situations with, has booked a trip to go to Brazil during Carnival.

He is begging me to come telling me.... actually, lets skip that and just say that he has made some tempting points.

My main worry is that Brazil is dangerous.... Has anyone been? How bad is it? Any thoughts / Advice?

Has anyone been there during Carnival?

It's my buddy and a few of his buddies from Boston who are going, and they're going with one kid who is originally from Brazil as well.

They rented a house on a beach, the whole 9 yards...

I'm also assuming that it is very cheap....

Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
All I know about that is that several pharma companies have stopped sending their HQ folk to the offices of their Brazilian affiliates (mostly Sao Paolo), for fear of kidnapping. Given that Brazil is the tip of the spear for the fastest-growing segment of the pharma market, that should tell you something.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I actually am worried too...

We lost a family friend who was vacationing in Brazil, but that was already nearly a decade ago.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
i met a super hot chick from brazil on friday night from sao paulo. glad you started the thread as im looking to make the trip as well...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
My friend moved there for awhile. She ended up in favelas.. As she told me, she went to sleep to the sounds of gun shots, and woke up to the same noise. There was also an elderly woman who got killed on her street, they managed to remove the body after some time, but the blood and her id/belongings stayed there until someone else took them.

She got back in one piece though, she's about 5 foot 8, blonde, so she stood out like a sore thumb - everyone called her gringo.

I'm sure you will be traveling to a nicer part of Brazil though, so you should be able to make it back in one piece.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tsar
My friend moved there for awhile. She ended up in favelas.. As she told me, she went to sleep to the sounds of gun shots, and woke up to the same noise. There was also an elderly woman who got killed on her street, they managed to remove the body after some time, but the blood and her id/belongings stayed there until someone else took them.

She got back in one piece though, she's about 5 foot 8, blonde, so she stood out like a sore thumb - everyone called her gringo.

I'm sure you will be traveling to a nicer part of Brazil though, so you should be able to make it back in one piece.

Yikes! I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
for: dat ass

against: death

Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 AM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
Originally Posted by IIVVX
for: dat ass

against: death
that's pretty much my pros vs cons in a nutshell

Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond repute
i've been, i went as part of a field study with my school for 10 days during spring break , it was awesome, didn't feel unsafe, but we all went everywhere together.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I go every November. Not for Carnaval, but to fish. I do stay in Manaus for a night or two though. It is dangerous, we never stray too far from the Hotel where we stay every year.

There is an outdoor bar area that we go to while there, the women outnumber the men by a good margin. Interesting to see how aggressive they are too.

I'll say this, getting laid there is waaay easy. It's also waaay easy to get a disease, like AIDS there.

I noticed you like fishing - the Amazon is the best I've experienced anywhere.

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Brazil?