Notices
The Teamspeed Wheel & Tire Forum The Teamspeed Wheel & Tire Forum Is Where You Will Find All The Latest News, Technical Info, and Trends!

Winter tires in 295?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Winter tires in 295?

Guys, I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I am wondering if any of you have experience with winter tires in 295 size. I know the common move is to go with an 18" package with 265s, but I would like to put winters on my stock wheels and get some "cool" wheels for summer.

For those of you with first-hand experience, did you have any traction problems with the wide rears? My car is AWD, but I know that's not always a gimme. I had winters on my RS4, but those were "only" 255s...

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Remember, the primary difference is the compound, not this size. IMO, anything beyond 265 is a steam roller and is going to give marginal traction on size alone. The compound and ability to "squirm" enough to keep itself cleaned out is going to be the difference. That combined with AWD, and the car will get around just fine. You'll find that most all 911 owners, especially the ones on AWD, get around with no trouble on 295's.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Damon -

Thanks again for the scoop. It looked like I was going to put winters on last year, but now it's looking more likely. Of course, if I order winters, that means I'll be ordering some BBS from you in the spring.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
icruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond repute
I've used 295s for the last two winters (non-awd). Works perfectly, no issues. I've used it with a good amount of snow on the ground (not so much as to turn my 997 in to a snow plow).

Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Watch this space.
icruze - Thanks for the scoop - that's good to hear! Repped!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
icruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond reputeicruze has a reputation beyond repute
My pleasure Chris. BTW, I use pirelli sotozeros.